Lonely duck

LittleBigBantam

Songster
Sep 10, 2019
So I started out with 4 ducks, one died of sickness at a young age, and two got eaten when I had a fisher cat attack my flock. Now I just have one blue runner female who lives with my chickens. Bagel thinks she is a chicken, and when we had turkeys she also thought she was a turkey. My question is, is there anything I could do to make her any happier? Unfortunately getting another duck is not an option as there are no ducks for sale near me
20200802_132508.jpg

she’s good with the chickens for now, i wouldn’t rush on getting a duck unless you can get one you are sure is a female. girl ducks can easily live with chickens, but boys will mate with them and could end up killing them.

she’s good with the chickens for now, i wouldn’t rush on getting a duck unless you can get one you are sure is a female. girl ducks can easily live with chickens, but boys will mate with them and could end up killing them.
Really? I was hoping if I could get a drake that I would be able to breed them, but if it's not safe for my chickens I guess I'll just look for a female

Really? I was hoping if I could get a drake that I would be able to breed them, but if it's not safe for my chickens I guess I'll just look for a female
drakes can be really mean, and will breed literally any other bird. roosters can breed duck hens safely, but a drake mating chicken hens will definitely kill them

The same thing happened to my duck we had to get rid of 4 then 1 died so he was lonely and then he thought he was a chicken and still does well we are now raising ducklings we ordered online and they were shipped to us they are 2 days old but a bunch of places are shipping ducklings so you could look into that

Back
Top Bottom