Lonely duck

martha35

Hatching
Feb 10, 2015
A duck was dumped at a local pond about a month ago. Someone actually saw people drive up and dump her. People have been feeding her, she is overly friendly following people. I think she is lonesome as she has started just sitting by the pond, she is still eating but seems sad. If that makes sense. I was looking to get her some duck friends. I believe she is a Pekin duck. Anyone know where in the Houston, Northeast Houston area to buy mature ducks?

A duck was dumped at a local pond about a month ago. Someone actually saw people drive up and dump her. People have been feeding her, she is overly friendly following people. I think she is lonesome as she has started just sitting by the pond, she is still eating but seems sad. If that makes sense. I was looking to get her some duck friends. I believe she is a Pekin duck. Anyone know where in the Houston, Northeast Houston area to buy mature ducks?
Why not find her a good loving home instead of dumping more ducks to keep her company, very sad someone would dump a beautiful duck, looking at the back end but not being able to see it real good it looks to have a drake feather, Look to see if there is a water fowl rescue in your area and contact them, Domestics don't do well in a situation like this they get fed awful junk and they can't fly so sometime fall to predators quicker than wild ducks. Or ask you local animal shelter if they know someone who might be interested in giving this Pekin a good home. Please don't dump more.
your heart is in the right place but this isn't the right thing to do. Could you foster till a home is found?

Welcome to BYC.

Last edited:
I agree with Miss Lydia, many of us don't realize how tough it is to survive out there. It may look calm during the day, but many predators come out at night, and there are human predators, too. I would take the duck in and find it a home with other ducks. Poor thing.

Glad you intend to help.

Where she is has been known as a local "duck pond" but when we had geese that were very aggressive the ducks left. We have wanted to get more ducks since the geese are gone but have not done so yet. She can fly, but your right people are feeding her crap. I have been taking corn down to her which she enjoys and she has been looking like she is eating stuff in the pond. She is friendly and will follow you but she will not let you get close enough to catch her. She has been there for at least a month or so but I know she has to be lonesome. I will look into calling someone about her.

Poor thing :(

Definitely needs to be re-homed....but so glad someone is looking out for him...

Might I suggest (at least until he can be properly re-homed) do not continue to feed him corn - very high in carbs, low in nutrients. If you are going to take food appropriate for him - and PLEASE do - buy a bag of proper waterfowl or poultry feed from a local feed store. It's very inexpensive (less than $15/40# typically), and it will aid greatly in keeping him healthy :)

Thank you for looking after him!!

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the food information. I knew bread was not good for them but thought the corn would be better. I am going to a local feed store tomorrow to discuss the duck with them and I will pick up some good food for him or her.

Martha35, you are doing the best you can with what you know. Proud of you! And glad you are willing to take what more experienced people have to offer and use it to the duck's advantage.

Please keep us posted, ask any questions that come to mind. Ducks get rescued quite often, there is a technique to it, it helps to get others involved.

Back
Top Bottom