Lonely Quail

Lmpc

In the Brooder
Jul 16, 2021
We acquired 2 quail that are approx 6 weeks old. One quail got out and hasn’t been back. The other comes and goes as it pleases. Squeezes her big body through fence gaps. Question is- when do they start laying eggs? I haven’t seen any yet and she’s about 6 weeks old. I believe she is a female. She has a spotted chest…

It's about time for her to start to lay, but she's probably not laying them at home. If she doesn't have a predator proof enclosure, she's also likely to not come home one day. Everything likes to eat quail.

Quail also need company, so you should probably get at least one more hen.

It's about time for her to start to lay, but she's probably not laying them at home. If she doesn't have a predator proof enclosure, she's also likely to not come home one day. Everything likes to eat quail.

Quail also need company, so you should probably get at least one more hen.
She is actually housed with our chickens. We have 9 year old chickens, 3 9 week olds and 3 6 week olds. Plus 2 turkeys. She spends a lot of time in the coop area but she doll doesn’t go in the actual coop. She will hide under it or near the tree branches we have in there. But she doesn’t come and go on her own… I also know her few hiding places in the yard I’ve found her at night time ans out her back in the fence area so she doesn’t get eaten… any advice welcome thank you

I wouldn't keep her with the chickens and turkeys. She could very easily get injured or killed by accident, or even on purpose should any of the larger birds decide to start picking on her.

Quail also aren't as resistant to some diseases that chickens and turkey may carry but are resistant to. Some people, such as @muddy75 keep mixed aviaries, but even she will tell you that there are casualties in such a set up.

There are some good articles on quail here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/categories/quail.32/

Feel free to ask any questions you still have, though.

I wouldn't keep her with the chickens and turkeys. She could very easily get injured or killed by accident, or even on purpose should any of the larger birds decide to start picking on her.

Quail also aren't as resistant to some diseases that chickens and turkey may carry but are resistant to. Some people, such as @muddy75 keep mixed aviaries, but even she will tell you that there are casualties in such a set up.

There are some good articles on quail here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/categories/quail.32/

Feel free to ask any questions you still have, though.
Thank you for your reply. The people we got her from had them with their chickens and she’s been with the chickens since day 1. They don’t seem to bother her at all. I was just curious when they typically start laying.

Back
Top Bottom