Lonely Red Cross in need of new home: Fairfield county CT, or Westchester County NY

zyzzyr

In the Brooder
Aug 18, 2020
Hello,

I have a really wonderful and interactive chicken named Rhaega whose companions have passed away over the last 6 months. She was one of three (Vyseria, Droga, and Rhaega - from Game of Thrones!) Red Cross chickens that we brought home as pullets 4 years ago. She has an oddly trimmed beak - I did not know at the time that the farm supply store trimmed the beaks of the chickens they sold. She is still laying eggs regularly - about two every three days. She's SUPER friendly and loves people. I let her out gardening with me and she follows me around the yard. She loves fresh cherry tomatoes and I have caught her several times trying to jump for one!

I am looking for a new home for her because she's obviously very lonely, and I can't get new chickens to keep her company. I am really worried about her not having friends and, if this goes on longer, having to spend a winter alone. I am looking for a new, friendly, and safe home for her that will give her friends and company.

Please let me know - it's been 6 weeks since her last companion passed and I can tell she's very lonely. She would love new friends and they would love her as well!!

I have attached a picture of us together of me feeding her cherry tomatoes!

Attachments

• rhaega.png
    rhaega.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Thanks for the responses all. I will definitely check out the other thread.

I've been leery of going to craigslist as I'm not sure how she would be treated, or if the people would be honest, but maybe I can screen them to find a good home.

I edited the original post to include one picture, but here are some more from this past weekend!

Attachments

• IMG_20200809_160544.jpg
    IMG_20200809_160544.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20200809_160550.jpg
    IMG_20200809_160550.jpg
    445.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20200809_160650.jpg
    IMG_20200809_160650.jpg
    389.1 KB · Views: 13
Hi there! Rhaega is beautiful!

I live in Middletown CT and may be interested, but I would need to wait until early October. I have a pair of rented hens who go back to their farm in mid-September. Then I'm installing a new coop and run for four pullets I'm getting in mid-October. I'd have space for a 5th, though I'd be concerned about the relationship dynamics. It'd be helpful to talk it through. Let me know if you you'd like to chat.

If you find her a new home earlier, go for it!

Thanks for the responses all. I will definitely check out the other thread.

I've been leery of going to craigslist as I'm not sure how she would be treated, or if the people would be honest, but maybe I can screen them to find a good home.

I edited the original post to include one picture, but here are some more from this past weekend!
She sells herself in these photos!

Thanks deidreg! I am fine with that timeline and happy to drive her to you! I will still explore craigslist and other options but will keep you in mind if I haven't found her the right home by then.

Back
Top Bottom