Long blood clot looking poop?

I don't want to be a Debbie Downer but just want to mention that sometimes the damaged caused by having coccidiosis for a period of time is irreversible.

It literally ruins the intestines and doesn't allow the bird to get the proper nutrition absorbed from the food... Which leads to other problems.
I hope that’s not the case, but thank you for letting me know.

BSFL is extremely high in fat so if you are giving more than just a tiny spoonful of these, you're overfeeding them.
Offering daily high-fat treats causes problems because your bird can become overweight without you even knowing.
They pack on the fat inside on the organs quickly which causes serious issues like salpingitis.
Yeah the BSFL is not daily, only occasionally- maybe once a week. But I didn’t realize it could possibly have caused the salpingitis we dealt with. Thank you.

Both the barred rock and the buff were sick within the last six weeks, seen by a vet, and treated.

Our barred rock was really pale and had lost weight about a month ago- took her to the vet and she had coccidosis. The whole flock was treated with Corid at that time for a week. Six weeks ago, one of our buff orpingtons was really weak and not eating/pooping and she had salpingitits and was on antibiotics for a month. She also was on a stimulant initially until her GI tract started working again for about three days.
I would try what @azygous has recommended or if possible, reconsult your vet.

You mention you had 2 hens treated within the last 6 weeks - what for - Coccidiosis and Salpingitis? With what - Amprolium and an antibiotic?

I'd hazard a guess that the material you found is lash material, but could be wrong. Since you mention Salpingitis it's a very good possibility. Antibiotics can help fight the infection and inflammation of Salpingitis, but it is usually chronic and may require repeated supportive care and/or treatment throughout the hen's lifetime.

I would try what @azygous has recommended or if possible, reconsult your vet.

You mention you had 2 hens treated within the last 6 weeks - what for - Coccidiosis and Salpingitis? With what - Amprolium and an antibiotic?

I'd hazard a guess that the material you found is lash material, but could be wrong. Since you mention Salpingitis it's a very good possibility. Antibiotics can help fight the infection and inflammation of Salpingitis, but it is usually chronic and may require repeated supportive care and/or treatment throughout the hen's lifetime.
I’ve ordered the treatment recommended but we will also be seeing the vet this week as well. Whichever happens or arrives first is what we’ll jump on right away.

The buff orpington was diagnosed with salpingitis six weeks ago, which had also affected her GI tract so her crop was not emptying. We took her to the vet, she diagnosed the salpingitis after ruling out peritonitis since there was no fluid or swelling in the abdomen. The vet also found a lash egg when checking her vent. She prescribed cephalexin for 30 days and some kind of injection to stimulate her GI tract until her crop empties and she started pooping again. We did the injection for 3-4 days before stopping. The vet did tell us that this could cause chronic issues to be treated as needed for the rest of her life and that she may not lay again. She responded to treatment well and is back to her normal self besides laying. I was worried it may have been a weird lash egg or something, who cn is why I mentioned her recent salpingitis.

Separate from the Orpington with the salpingitis, the barred rock was acting very off about a month ago. Very pale comb and face, not as active or vocal, runny poops. We took her into the vet, and a fecal test showed coccidiosis. The vet had us treat the whole flock with Corid for a week but did not prescribe antibiotics or a follow up round of Corid. The barred rock seemingly recovered, but after reading the responses here we obviously should have done a second round of Corid and also had the barred rock on an antibiotic.

The weird blood clot thing is kind of dried out now but in a bag and will be brought to the vet with both the barred rock and Orpington for a follow up as soon as possible this week. The Orpington is acting fine but the barred rock is acting off again.

The buff orpington was diagnosed with salpingitis six weeks ago, which had also affected her GI tract so her crop was not emptying. We took her to the vet, she diagnosed the salpingitis after ruling out peritonitis since there was no fluid or swelling in the abdomen. The vet also found a lash egg
Right. It's not uncommon for a hen to have Crop/Digestive issues/symptoms when dealing with a reproductive disorder. Once you get inflammation/infection under control, an egg or lash material is expelled, etc., then often the digestive problem starts to resolve as well. (Or vice versa)

Hopefully this was a case of expelling more lash material that was causing an impaction in the reproductive system and she'll start to improve for a while.

Sounds like you have a very good vet.
She’s an avian vet and loves chickens. She’s very good with them and talks to them when she’s examining them. She’s not so much a people person, though, so sometimes we miss out on what’s going on. Other than that, we’re very fortunate to have someone locally that will treat chickens!

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. My husband took both hens to the vet today, she was shocked at the size of the bloody “poop”. Upon closer examination, our barred rock, Keiko, was found to have bloody clotted fluid in her abdomen indicative of cancer. The “poop” was likely necrotic tissue that she passed. The fluid was drained to keep her comfortable for now. She’ll spend tomorrow with her sisters in the yard and we will both be taking her in to be euthanized on Wednesday per the recommendation of the vet. She will be extra loved and spoiled until then.

The buff orpington, who was previously treated for salpingitis, is fine.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. My husband took both hens to the vet today, she was shocked at the size of the bloody “poop”. Upon closer examination, our barred rock, Keiko, was found to have bloody clotted fluid in her abdomen indicative of cancer. The “poop” was likely necrotic tissue that she passed. The fluid was drained to keep her comfortable for now. She’ll spend tomorrow with her sisters in the yard and we will both be taking her in to be euthanized on Wednesday per the recommendation of the vet. She will be extra loved and spoiled until then.

:hugsyou are a great chicken mom!

I'm sorry to hear about Keiko:hugs

Back
Top Bottom