Long blood clot looking poop?

Apr 10, 2021
Sacramento, CA
See photos. Found this in the coop bedding under the roosting bar last night. Cut it open and it’s soft but solid all the way through. Dark brownish red. About 2.5-3 inches. What the heck is this nasty thing!?

Everyone’s butts looked fine. Everyone is eating and drinking normally. It was under three of the girls: our barred rock, one of the buff orpingtons, and one of the black Australorps. Both the barred rock and the buff were sick within the last six weeks, seen by a vet, and treated. But I’m thinking it was one of them.

Some flock health history: Our barred rock was really pale and had lost weight about a month ago- took her to the vet and she had coccidosis. The whole flock was treated with Corid at that time for a week. Six weeks ago, one of our buff orpingtons was really weak and not eating/pooping and she had salpingitits and was on antibiotics for a month. She also was on a stimulant initially until her GI tract started working again for about three days.

More recently: The barred rock started looking pale again on Wednesday but we haven’t been able to get back into the vet yet, so we started another round of Corid just in case. The vet had said on the initial diagnosis that our barred rock might have a higher bacterial load or something than the others which is why she was symptomatic.

Both girls will be going back for follow ups next week, but I need some opinions on what the heck this thing is in the meantime and if you think it could be related to either of their recent illnesses.

Attachments

• IMG_0910.jpeg
    IMG_0910.jpeg
    749.6 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0914.jpeg
    IMG_0914.jpeg
    701.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0912.jpeg
    IMG_0912.jpeg
    558.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0913.jpeg
    IMG_0913.jpeg
    520.5 KB · Views: 6
In my opinion, your Barred Rock has necrotic enteritis from the coccidiosis. This means she has a bacterial infection of the intestinal lining, causing bleeding and perhaps permanent damage to her intestines. She needs this. https://jedds.com/products/trimethoprin-sulfa-medpet?_pos=1&_sid=83dcb7a2a&_ss=r
Thank you for the recommendation. She’s going to the vet next week but I’ll get some of this shipped in the meantime in case that’s what she recommends.

I’ve been really worried about her, I thought initially she had recovered but I think the original round of Corid was just like a little bit of a bandaid and it didn’t completely work.

If you didn't do a second round of Corid a week after the first round, she could have been reinfected by oocytes that hatched after the first round. Also, some strains of coccidia are more destructive to the intestines than other ones. (Nine all together).

Once the coccidia establishes itself in the intestines, E.coli can start to grow in the inflamed tissue. That then requires an antibiotic to conquer it. If the sulfa comes, I would start her on it immediately.

If you didn't do a second round of Corid a week after the first round, she could have been reinfected by oocytes that hatched after the first round. Also, some strains of coccidia are more destructive to the intestines than other ones. (Nine all together).

Once the coccidia establishes itself in the intestines, E.coli can start to grow in the inflamed tissue. That then requires an antibiotic to conquer it. If the sulfa comes, I would start her on it immediately.
Absolutely will, thank you. I chose the fastest shipping option so hopefully I’ll get it tomorrow or Tuesday.

I don't want to be a Debbie Downer but just want to mention that sometimes the damaged caused by having coccidiosis for a period of time is irreversible.

It literally ruins the intestines and doesn't allow the bird to get the proper nutrition absorbed from the food... Which leads to other problems.

Now would be a good time to reevaluate exactly what you're feeding your flock too.

They get Bar ALE layer crumble from our local feed store and occasional black soldier fly larvae, plus they free range in the backyard. We give them apples and greens sometimes.
BSFL is extremely high in fat so if you are giving more than just a tiny spoonful of these, you're overfeeding them.
Offering daily high-fat treats causes problems because your bird can become overweight without you even knowing.
They pack on the fat inside on the organs quickly which causes serious issues like salpingitis.

Back
Top Bottom