Long term effects of Fowl Pox

Romaana

Chirping
Sep 17, 2021
South Africa
Has anyone ever noticed any long term effects of Fowl Pox? Things that continued happening months after a hen recovered from pox.

One of my production hens had pox last year. She continued laying while she was ill, but she stopped laying about a month after she recovered. She now lays a maximum of 3 eggs a month.

She was the only hen to have pox, the others that had it were roosters so I don't have another chicken to compare her with.

I've tried looking for literature about the long term effects of pox and I haven't found anything.

I'm wondering if the drop in egg production involved with pox is something that happens only while the hen is ill, or whether it happens throughout the hen's entire life.

Suspect they are unrelated events, sharing only a close proximity in time. Production breeds are famed for reproductive problems starting around year three. Not that all will develop them, or that its never before year three or after year three, just that's when lots of people start noting them cropping up.

I've had a case of (dry) fowl pox slowly moving thru my flock for more than two months now, and egg laying is unaffected. Some of my birds were exposed about 18 months ago, recovered fine - almost entirely asymptomatic, in fact - and remain excellent layers.

Back
Top Bottom