AllMightyPotato

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2020
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

Five years ago, I was celebrating my birthday with my family, and my little sister had to be picked up from school. She was in her gardening class, and I went in to pick her up. When I walked into the garden, the first thing that caught my eye was the chicken coop. 4 Plymouth Rocks, 3 Cinnamon Queens, and a ton of chicks. And from then on, I was determined to become a chicken owner. That summer, 5 young chicks fell under my care, and it was love at first sight. I now consider myself an overprotective mother.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

As of now, I have 4 grown chickens.

(3) What breeds do you have?

2/5 of my original chickens survived, and my heart broke. I received 4 new chicks, because my hens were becoming impatient. Out of those four, two are left. So, from youngest to oldest, Sunshine, an Araucana, Moonlight, a Rhode Island Red, Blacky, a Plymouth Rock (and youngest of my first flock), and Paco, another Plymouth Rock (and second-oldest of the first flock).

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

When my chickens run around. I play games with them, and they learn to trust me more and more. Right before I put them away, I like to sit down. My chickens will approach me and sit on my lap. It melts my heart every time. I could sit there for hours.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

When I'm not with my chickens, which is not too often, I am also a knitter. Not a very advanced one, but I knit. It's really fun, plus I have a ton of yarn to decorate the coops with.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

Well, I have two little sisters, they drive me nuts. And... I don't know what else to put here.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I discovered this community only a few days ago, when I was looking for a place to ask questions about my chickens. I signed up, and here I am!

Back
Top Bottom