long time reader, first time poster... ;-)

ccbeachchick

In the Brooder
Feb 21, 2015
Hi, I've had my chickens since last June, but have been checking this site for about a year now. I ordered six chicks, some reason got seven... Two of them turned out to be roos... Imagine my surprise that first morning I heard crowing! Now it sounds like a frat party in the am... Bert and Ernie, Ernie hasn't got it quite right.... lol... The extra chick was not a rooster... I've got Rhode Island Red, Plymouth Barred Rock, Buff Orpington, and whatever Belle is? She's the nicest little blonde chicken... One of my PBR's is residing in my office right now because someone to be named later has plucked her back and back of her head.... Hopefully I can get her back to the coop soon, she hears the boys crowing and I swear starts to cry... I guess I'm not enough company for her... It's been sooo cold, I'm afraid to put her back.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

You may want to post here to find out what breed Belle is
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

I would watch your hens and rooster closely when it comes to breeding season. It's recommend to keep only one rooster for 10 hens. So just watch to make sure your hens aren't getting too much attention and that the two roosters aren't fighting. I wonder if the plucked back was from too much rooster attention? Did you actually see them pulling the feathers out? If it's isn't red or bleedy, you may want to go ahead and but her back out with the others.

Good luck!

welcome-byc.gif
I"m glad you joined our "flock!"

Good luck with your chickens!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined our community.

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have.
smile.png

Welcome to the flock. If you have seen the rooster pulling out her feathers etc. You can get her a hen apron which will protect her back, and allow her feathers to regrow. You can find them under "everything else for sale," in the Backyard buy, sell, trade forum.

celebrate.gif
welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

celebrate.gif
welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom