Longest possible run using chicken nipples

CelesteG

Chirping
Feb 25, 2012
NC
I've recently "rearranged" my backyard farmette and am now having to haul additional water all over
he.gif
It has occurred to me to make a main water cistern that is piped with chicken nipples down the line of "yards". How long of a run do you think is feasible to get water to everyone? My stupid garden hose will reach ONE end then the length to the end of that run and onto the next is like 20 feet! Just wondering if I have the proper drop on the main pipe if a longer than 20' length will work.

Also - there is the concern about the pipe freezing......does anyone use that pipe wrap stuff or will the silly chickens peck it to death? This may turn into a spring project and I'll be slogging water all winter :(

You can make them as long as you want, but they WILL freeze.
Insulation won't make any difference without a heat source

You may want to consider running some underground water lines to a few locations around your farm, and installing "Frost free" Hydrants

It will cost some money, but will be worth it in the long run

(I was born and raised in Alamance County)

My farm is actually a major "farmette" since our property is literally 1/3 of an acre with a house and front yard taking up a good 2/3 of that! Not sure I can justify any kind of hydrants! My area is actually small enough that I could seriously use electric blankets to keep freezing down! - which, if they were approved for outdoor use might be an option but I digress. I think I am going to try to work out the long pipe run (THANK YOU!!) for the three flocks and figure a way to keep the water from being ice cubies NEXT week :D

(And Ms/Mr. Bear Foot Farm - where in Alamance County???)

I've recently "rearranged" my backyard farmette and am now having to haul additional water all over
he.gif
It has occurred to me to make a main water cistern that is piped with chicken nipples down the line of "yards". How long of a run do you think is feasible to get water to everyone? My stupid garden hose will reach ONE end then the length to the end of that run and onto the next is like 20 feet! Just wondering if I have the proper drop on the main pipe if a longer than 20' length will work.

Also - there is the concern about the pipe freezing......does anyone use that pipe wrap stuff or will the silly chickens peck it to death? This may turn into a spring project and I'll be slogging water all winter :(
The run can be any leinth as long as the source is higher than the end of the run. The drop could be as little as 1/4"

Last edited:
LOL - I am on Harden St - about 2 blocks off of Main :)
I was about a mile from you on South Main, and later moved to Oakgrove Drive in Greenway park.

Now there's a time/temperature sign in front of the house I grew up in, and it's Jay Burke's Realty

That was a LONG time ago though
LOL

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom