Longest you've gone?

hollymh

*A Scrambled Egg*
15 Years
Feb 8, 2009
Texas
So I ordered eggs to hatch out for valentines, well sadly most of them got too cold during shipping since our crazy TX weather went, well, crazy and none hatched... I went to the feed store and bought some chicks to make myself feel better, it worked. Then I got to thinking, what's the longest you've gone without buying chicks or eggs to add to the flock? So far the longest for me is a whopping 5 months.

I hatched some eggs from wild chickens in neighborhood last year in April, no money spent, and just about week and half ago my broody hatched six, so would that count as none since I became chick raiser in April?

I wish I had some wild chickens around the area here! When we lived overseas I would go out and collect eggs in the jungle from the wild fowl there and that was so much fun, I always had 100% hatches over there too!

I haven't bought chickens in quite a while because I had to move to NY for school and my parents are looking to move. I hatched some chicks last year though and that satisfied my craving!

@hollymh out of 32 eggs incubated only one didn't hatch but was fully developed. I thought I would be lucky to get half my first time, lol. Now with the broody not letting me play with the fuzzy butts I'm going break out the bator again soon, lol. But with home grown eggs :)

@hollymh out of 32 eggs incubated only one didn't hatch but was fully developed. I thought I would be lucky to get half my first time, lol. Now with the broody not letting me play with the fuzzy butts I'm going break out the bator again soon, lol. But with home grown eggs
smile.png

I had the same thing this time around, I gave up an ordered my chicks. I will try another hatch around Easter with my birds eggs, I only have one roo over 8 hens so Im curious what the fertility will be

I have 2 very sweet pairs I can count on being fertile the others dont get as much attention, lol. The one I call Blondie has one boyfriend and the little red hen gets a lot of attention from 2 roosters. I want more red ones so maybe she can have a break.

Back
Top Bottom