Look at the babies!!!!!! :D

blackvelvet

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 4, 2011
East Tennessee
Look at my new babies. Well they are not new they was born march 5th. But they seem to be doing great and growing like weeds. Another litter is due soon!
big_smile.png

Both turned out to be boys.
hmm.png
But both of them are gorgeous!

78996_babychinchilla.jpg

This is the little runt he is so much smaller than his brother.

78996_babychinchilla2.jpg

Oh My Gosh! Such adorable cuteness! My mother raises and breeds chinchillas and just had a new baby about a month ago! I absolutely love them! I have never been without a chinchilla. I believe the first chin we ever owned was when I was 18 months old.
smile.png
He was a gorgeous white mosaic named Bean.
smile.png

Me holding Cashmere
smile.png

55434_me_and_cash.jpg

Teach: thanks. I LOVE Gandhi! I think he was one of the greatest men ever.

Peep: I love Chins. They are the greatest little creatures on earth. I would have to say.. I don't understand why people kill them for fur. they could just brush them and dust and have enough for a couple coats.
big_smile.png
I have had chins since I was 13.

I have a friend who sort of half jokingly offered me one or both of her chins a couple days ago. I'm a science teacher and wouldn't mind having them in my classroom. HOWEVER, I have some concerns. Do I need to worry about allergies with my students? Are a lot of people allergic to them? I have a large aviary with 4 small birds and so far no allergies...

Are they skiddish by nature? How would they be with kids trying to hold them if they haven't been held much?

What are their special diet needs?

Are they "smelly"? I've had GP's in the past and I didn't have a problem with keeping their pens clean. I know ferrets have a musky smell so I haven't looked into getting one of them. I had a student bring in a hedge hog a couple years ago and it was smelly since it had such a high protien diet.

Are chins not for beginners? Or should I ask my friend about them for my classroom?

Molly in Indiana

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif

Chins are one of the few mammals that are hypoallergenic! So no worries about allergies. As for skittish, depends on what their socialization level is. They certainly can be if they haven't been handled alot. I don't recall mine being smelly, just a bit messy with hay and shavings falling out of the cage. I'm not sure how well one would do in a classroom setting, it might be too stressful for them since they are nocturnal. They are awake the most at dusk and dawn but are definitely more active at night than during the day.

Back
Top Bottom