Look at this! Egg inside of an egg!!

Wow! I have a huge egg layed a week ago that resembles that one, except it is extra porous or has calcium build up on it. It has a big spot of dried blood on it from the poor hen, and looks about the size of a goose egg.

I have been saving it to put in the incubator when it is empty in another week or so. I was thinking it had twins or triplets inside but hadn't considered an egg inside an egg! I have a hen that laid a few double yokers last year, so was assuming maybe this was 3 in one.

If you "candle" the egg, you should easily be able to tell it is an double-egger. Just a thought.

It's very cool, but yes, extremely disconcerting. There are a few places that would probably pay good money for her to research and find out why it happens.

Incredible! I have a hen, Jennifer, who lays giant eggs that are only double yolkers. I hope your hen is doing well after all that hard work.

If you "candle" the egg, you should easily be able to tell it is an double-egger.  Just a thought.

It's very cool, but yes, extremely disconcerting.  There are a few places that would probably pay good money for her to research and find out why it happens.

If you were addressing this to me, I tried to candle. I couldn't see anything since the shell is brown and seems thicker than usual. But I went ahead and cracked it open and sure enough, it had another egg inside!

Was thinking about this thread last night and my one defective layer. Poor girl never laid a normal egg in her life, and many of them were trying to be an egg inside of an egg, although the shell on the outer egg almost never formed and none of them ever had yolks in the outer "egg." Looking through my albums this morning I realized I still have some pictures of some of them:

LL

This was her first egg. You can see the green warty things, that was her attempt at a shell on the outer egg.

And this was probably the weirdest egg she laid.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom