Look at this EXCITING QUESTION!!!!!!!

Yanna

Songster
11 Years
Mar 23, 2008
Illinois
I got no responses so I changed the headline.

With newly hatched Australorps, does yellow on the head automatically mean male?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

lauralou

Songster
12 Years
Dec 10, 2007
Central Virginia
Funny title! You got me to look.

I've never had an Australorp chick. I ordered some once, but the hatchery made a substitution. Bummer.

I didn't know that Australorp chicks had a spot on the head. I thought they were just like little penguins, black with yellow underneath.

Sorry I'm no help, but at least I gave you a bump.

desertgirl

Roo Magnet
10 Years
Mar 29, 2009
Albuquerque,NM
Ooooo.... Very sneaky! Just for that I am not going to tell you the answer!

(Just kidding-I honestly have no idea;))

Last edited:

LauraP

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 29, 2009
High Rock Lake, NC
Well you got me to look!
I have 3 Australorp pullets who are 7 weeks old.

Here's how they looked as little babies.

Not sure how much yellow on the head you mean, but two of our girls, Lucy and Ethel, certainly had some

Hippie Chickie

Songster
10 Years
Mar 24, 2009
Port Orchard
I have no idea. I do know that the red starts coming into the comb real quick with them. At a month we were able to tell that one of the little girls was going to be named Vin- as in coq a vin. The feed store threw in an extra pullet with the perchase of six so it's not like we payed for the little guy. I seem to remember that they all had different amounts of yellow on the head.

Gonzo

Songster
10 Years
May 25, 2009
Southwestern, In
Very Sneaky! Love the title! I'm glad I'm not the only one with that problem sometimes! I told my daughter I thought maybe I had chicken cooties, so no one would hardly answer me!
I'm not sure about the australorps having a sex link. I would keep an eye on their combs. In most chicks, the males combs turn a redder color, and are noticably larger than the females. I hope this helps you out some.

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom