Look Don't Touch integration

ForFlocksSake

Songster
Jun 2, 2023
North Florida/Panhandle
Silly question - but with look don't touch, how close do the new pullets need to be to the flock? Ours current flock is kept in a large run and when my new chicks are ready for some outside time I was thinking about placing them in cage hutch next to the run (bringing them back inside the garage in the evening). Since we have some rocks bordering the run, they will all see each other but they won't be able to get close to one another. The hutch is large so I wouldn't want to put it inside the run as it would take up a lot of floor space. Plus I could just see it becoming a place for the bigger birds to sit on top and poop.

How big do the new pullets need to be to go in with the older ones? when its time, do I just put them in there and hope for the best or will I need to do it in supervised increments over a period of time?

Thanks!

A picture would really help visualize this setup. Are the rocks too tall and potentially obscuring the chickens' vision? Or do they create distance between the two groups of chickens? I'm trying to understand why the rocks would be a problem. The goal is for the chickens to see each other clearly, without the older ones being able to peck or chase the younger ones. In my setup, I use a partition of the run where the two groups are separated by a stretch of chicken wire. I put the pullets in the partition at 5 weeks old. I put them in early in the morning and take them back to their brooder for the night. I wish I had room for a hutch in there, but unfortunately I don't, so I have to keep moving them for the night. After a week or two of this I open the gate to the partition and let the two groups mingle. I supervise for a while to make sure there's no excessive aggression. I've done this a few times now with different groups of pullets each year, and never had a problem. My flock is very peaceful and non-confrontational though, and they accept chicks easily. They don't like it, and show the usual displays of pecking order, but they've never actually hurt any of the pullets. Breeds, individuals and flocks are all different though, so, as they say, "your experience may vary".

A picture would really help visualize this setup. Are the rocks too tall and potentially obscuring the chickens' vision? Or do they create distance between the two groups of chickens? I'm trying to understand why the rocks would be a problem. The goal is for the chickens to see each other clearly, without the older ones being able to peck or chase the younger ones. In my setup, I use a partition of the run where the two groups are separated by a stretch of chicken wire. I put the pullets in the partition at 5 weeks old. I put them in early in the morning and take them back to their brooder for the night. I wish I had room for a hutch in there, but unfortunately I don't, so I have to keep moving them for the night. After a week or two of this I open the gate to the partition and let the two groups mingle. I supervise for a while to make sure there's no excessive aggression. I've done this a few times now with different groups of pullets each year, and never had a problem. My flock is very peaceful and non-confrontational though, and they accept chicks easily. They don't like it, and show the usual displays of pecking order, but they've never actually hurt any of the pullets. Breeds, individuals and flocks are all different though, so, as they say, "your experience may vary".
Thanks!

It wouldn't block their view. it just makes It so I can't put the hutch right up against the main run. Basically picture a 2x4 wood border around the entire run.

Im hoping to have the same experience as you. My current flock is very calm, but also they're young so not sure if that will change. Only one is laying so far, and they re all about 21 weeks old.

Thanks!

It wouldn't block their view. it just makes It so I can't put the hutch right up against the main run. Basically picture a 2x4 wood border around the entire run.

Im hoping to have the same experience as you. My current flock is very calm, but also they're young so not sure if that will change. Only one is laying so far, and they re all about 21 weeks old.
Oh so it's more like introducing two groups of chicks/juveniles to each other. That's probably going to be better than introducing chicks to adult hens. If the space in question is only a few inches, then they should be fine. I thought it was more like several feet. Good luck!

If the two enclosures are a few inches apart but with clear line of sight, it should be fine.

How old are the chicks now? I've started face to face meetings as early as 10 days old (because I brood in the run, see but don't touch begins as soon as the chicks arrive). For safety I think it's best to choose a day where you can supervise, so you can at least watch the initial interactions and make changes/jump in if needed.

If the two enclosures are a few inches apart but with clear line of sight, it should be fine.

How old are the chicks now? I've started face to face meetings as early as 10 days old (because I brood in the run, see but don't touch begins as soon as the chicks arrive). For safety I think it's best to choose a day where you can supervise, so you can at least watch the initial interactions and make changes/jump in if needed.
They haven’t hatched yet 😊 due to ship second week of November. Just getting myself prepared now.

Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom