Look honey at the deer... omg thats a coyote!

RGEISENDORF

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 18, 2009
Sedro-Woolley, WA
Litteraly 3 feet from the coop was what I thought was a deer but when I stopped and looked out the kitchen window again I realized it way a Coyote. It was 3pm and sunny. I screamed and took off out the back door like a mad woman in my bare feet. The coyote froze, looked at the chickens, (who free range) looked at me and decided it wasn't worth the fight and booked it across the field! I called my husband and asked where the bullets to the gun were... he told me, but didn't even ask why I wanted to know... looking back I find this funny. Maybe he thought it was because my ex husband was in town. ha ha ha just kidding! Anyway hes going to teach me how to shoot the gun when he gets home this weekend. uggggg, I hate coyotes.

lol shoot before you know how to shoot. i like that kind of thinking! good thing u were there, you know you saved their lives! good job for finding the courage to run at what was a danger to u and your birds , most would have been so paniced they would have ran the other way;)

Hello from Olympia -

That was a close one. Good thing you were there watching out the window.

I have coyotes in my area as well but haven't seen any around my coop since adding chickens.

I haven't been brave enough to let my chicks free range yet but their run is getting down to no grass, weeds or anything for them to eat. Just a soggy, wet mess with all the rain this week.

Good luck with the target shooting. I haven't been brave enough to get a gun since my divorce 11 yrs ago. At the time I had a rottweiler, so felt safe without a weapon.

Now that I have livestock to protect, it's a consideration.

P.S. LOVE your BYC Page

lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
AWSOME!!!
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

Coyotes are, for the most part, "chicken" when it comes to confrontation. It did what I'd expect a normal coyote to do - flee.

But they happily coexist near us, even while keeping their distance. They can be quite bold in the presence of man, too, especially when pressed by changes in habitat.
They were assaulting small children a few years back in California.
Disease or hunger can make them do things you might not expect, so be wary.

If this is a new thing for you, I'd guess that coyote was a walk-in or migrant to the area. They may have only recently discovered your buffet, if it is relatively new in their range. If you have been there for awhile, and this is a first, then something has changed to bring them in. Better look into that quick.

This can't bode well for the future. Next time, get a good ready and don't tip your hand. The only sound that coyote should hear is the crack of the rifle.

Along with a ready supply of ammo, you may wish to invest in some electric fencing, going forward. Odds are there are more about, just over the hill...

The coyotes are always way out in the field 20 acres away or so but this one was 10 feet from the house. My 13 year old was right on my heels as we went screaming out the door. Shes gotta a little crazy in her just like her momma! I just got done mowing a 20 foot perimiter around the house. I think the coyotes feel its safe to come close when the field starts growing up. I might need to start locking them up when I am away from the house and run a line of hotwire closer to the ground in the horses pasture. I guess its a good thing I was dressed for the day or the flock would have gotten an eye full!
ep.gif

Last edited:
Ha lessons sshmessons aim for the biggest part, breathe and gently squeeze the trigger. Kill that thing or it will get your birds...it knows they are there now.

yuckyuck.gif
yuckyuck.gif

Well you were fortunate. A similiar thing happened to me a little while back, except I was outside about 40 feet face to face with the coyote. That darn thing took off running and in the process cut off one of my Roosters trying to make it to safety. He snatched the Roo as he was running and just kept going. My dogs tracked the coyote and the Roo was brought home for burial as the coyote disappeared.

Last edited:
Coyotes are, for the most part, "chicken" when it comes to confrontation. It did what I'd expect a normal coyote to do - flee.

That is true for ONE coyote... but a pack of coyotes is different. They know there is strength in number and when there are several, they won't back down as easily. If your buddy comes back and brings his friends, you may need that gun.​

Back
Top Bottom