LOOK What We Got Today....!!!

Having walked through the pouond yourself, you know what a huge problem pet overpopulation is. There is the best reason to have Max fixed. Max was lucky he found a home with you, but just think of how many more did not. Even if Max fathers one litter, that's more pups that are unwanted. He will not miss his baggage and he'll be a happier dog if you do it. Best of luck with him...he's gorgeous!

I have to admit, that was the most heartbreaking thing I've done in a long time. One kennel had 3 of the most beautiful lab-looking siblings that were 5 or 6 months old. The pound keeper said they were going to be euthanized the following week if nobody took them. I wanted to bring them ALL home.

Awwww.... How sweet! you ar so fortunate!! What a great breed and a puppy too! We have a pyr and I just adore her. She is the best dog I have ever had.

I would recommend you get him neutered just because of the huge number of unwanted dogs in this world. If he just gets out one time, it could easily mean 8 more dogs without homes. I am actually surprised that the shelter didn't require that you get him fixed, all the shelters around here do. BTW, he is adorable. : )

It's a tough decision. But if he gets the surgery, he'll still be a boy
smile.png
My personal philosophy is to wait as long as possible, then sterilize. Too many unwanted dogs out there to risk another litter.
I love his most recent picture - his spiky look is too cool
cool.png

Speaking from experience, I'd wait till he was mature (as long as you can keep him in). I kept 3 pups out of a litter. Had them neuter and spayed at four months (per vet). All of the pups had acl ops. The males are showing sings of hip dysplaysia. The parents and grand parents never had any problems. After searching the net I found a research paper stating that neutering or spaying at a very young age aids into the developing of leg problems. If you can keep him in and make him act like a gentlemen I would wait till he has matured. Just my opinion.

I'm about to change my mind about neutering Max.

I hope you don't change your mind about neutering Max. There are a lot of reasons and myths why people do or don't alter their dogs but one fact nobody has proven wrong is that altered animals live longer, healthier lives. Intact males are also at a higher risk of getting prostate cancer. I would understand if you want to wait until his growth plates have closed but IMHO getting him neutered afterwards would be a hugh benefit for him.

BTW, Max is adorable!

Brenda

I hope you don't change your mind about neutering Max. There are a lot of reasons and myths why people do or don't alter their dogs but one fact nobody has proven wrong is that altered animals live longer, healthier lives. Intact males are also at a higher risk of getting prostate cancer. I would understand if you want to wait until his growth plates have closed but IMHO getting him neutered afterwards would be a hugh benefit for him.

BTW, Max is adorable!

Brenda

Not entirely true. There have been studies in the last few years that show benefits to leaving dogs intact, at least past puppyhood. Early nueter animals are at greater risk for hemangiosarcoma and osteosarcoma, both of which are very aggressive. Neutering actually INCREASES the chance of prostate cancer as well. The only cancer it avoids is testicular, which is generally easily remedied by neutering if it should appear.

Not entirely true. There have been studies in the last few years that show benefits to leaving dogs intact, at least past puppyhood. Early nueter animals are at greater risk for hemangiosarcoma and osteosarcoma, both of which are very aggressive. Neutering actually INCREASES the chance of prostate cancer as well. The only cancer it avoids is testicular, which is generally easily remedied by neutering if it should appear.

Yes, out of puppyhood (when his growth plates close).

Would you know if there are any studies that compared intact males that never sired a litter but got frustrated at times vs. intact males that sired litters? I'm not trying to start an argument or debate. I'm just curious. I know of someone who never neutered their male. When he developed prostate problems, his owners got him neutered. I was told he then died from cancer soon after that. Granted, I wasn't told what kind of cancer but it sounded coincidental. (The owners tried to get him to sire litters but they said it never took.)

Yes, out of puppyhood (when his growth plates close).

Would you know if there are any studies that compared intact males that never sired a litter but got frustrated at times vs. intact males that sired litters? I'm not trying to start an argument or debate. I'm just curious. I know of someone who never neutered their male. When he developed prostate problems, his owners got him neutered. I was told he then died from cancer soon after that. Granted, I wasn't told what kind of cancer but it sounded coincidental. (The owners tried to get him to sire litters but they said it never took.)

I doubt there is a study that specific. Prostatitis doesnt lead to prostate cancer, and the higher rate of prostate cancer among neutered dogs is among dogs neutered early in life, although I dont recall what early was in the study.
Some males are much more homone driven than others. My schipperke (who has never been bred) is a maniac. When my girls are in heat, he will sit outside the room they are crated in and guard the door from my male Anatolian. If I crate him, he will howl and bite the bars. He broke a canine tooth over it last year. My male ASD (been bred a few times), is totally placid. I can have him loose with girls in heat except for on the days they ovulate. He follows them with dreamy eyes, but the worst he gets is on ovulation days when he has to be away, he wont eat.

Ok, we've made our decision. We are going to wait until Max is fully grown and then we will re-think this major decision.

We just want to say 'thanks' to everyone who commented. We know you are doing your best to advise us well, and you did!

Max says, "whew."
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom