Look who I found watching my hens today...

BlueBetween

Songster
8 Years
Apr 4, 2011
Near Seattle

a coopers hawk. can these birds really take down a chicken? it didn't seem all that big - a little bigger than a robin maybe, smaller than a flicker woodpecker....

If it is that small, I'm wondering if it is a Sharp-shinned Hawk rather than a Coopers. They are very similar.

Yes, sharp-shinned adult and if robin sized a male. Small feet (shins) and squarish head of perching bird are good indicators of sharp-shinned hawk. Not a threat to adult chickens, probably not even bantams. May threaten chicks but not in my experience.

I don't know if it can take a full grown chicken or not.

I just wanted to commend you on your camera skills. Beautiful shot!

Thank you G-Man - I just got a new lens today, stepped outside to try to capture some photos of the chickadees - and they were all gone - weird! where did all the birds go - ahaha! what is that! A gift from mother nature for my new lens! But then I zoomed in and realized it looked hawkish... and had to lock all the hens up quick.

Last edited:
Years ago we had bird feeders in front of the house, and a hawk sometimes hunted there. One day it was just outside my bedroom window, and I got a couple pics of it.

Is this a Coopers Hawk?

Years ago we had bird feeders in front of the house, and a hawk sometimes hunted there. One day it was just outside my bedroom window, and I got a couple pics of it.

Is this a Coopers Hawk?

it looks like some of the coopers hawk pictures I've seen online, but it really looks like a Merlin from my bird books.

Back
Top Bottom