Looking for 2 silkie hens in IL

Donna5

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 18, 2011
Wadsworth, IL
Looking for 2 silkie hens to keep my single chick from being lonely since she can't be with the big girls. Looking for someone in Northern IL or Southern WI. Thanks:)

my single silkie is almost 4 months.

Are you by chance the person I contacted through Craigs list? I am Donna

Quote:
No, I am not with Craigs list. I only wondered if my Silkie mix June hatch pullet might want company with your pullet. But she's younger than yours, she might as well endure bottom of the pecking order here at home.......

I hope yours is doing well!

thanks for your reply. I had answered an ad on Craigs list, someone with silkies, sex undetermined, so I haven't bought any of hers for fear of having a rooster in the bunch, then I would have to deal with that problem.

Is your silkie with other breeds? I had 2 silkies that were in the run but seperated from the rest, somehow they got out and the big girls killed her so now we are fearful of putting the other one back so we built an addition where they are together but seperate but I still need someone (or two) to share her new digs, she seems so lonely and with winter coming she is going to need some body heat! If anyone knows anyone I am getting desperate...
sad.png
I really don't think hubby wants a house chicken

Quote:
One of our Silkies is like the flock Speaker of the House, 3rd in line to rule the roost. She used to be the lowest but was able to fight her way up. Now, the much larger Silkie/EE cross, around 3 months old, is the lowest, boy do they bugger her off the roost. But pecking order changes over time. I am sorry your birds killed one. We intervene with temporary pens now and then as needed, and "anger management class" as needed, here's the flock Vice President little Rosie in anger management for pecking at the Speaker of the House's new chicks one time:

She's so mad she's crowing about it. Sometimes, she has to sleep in a broody pen, alone, under the roosts. But smooshing her Ego is worthwhile for peace in the larger cosmos of our family's garden.

We had a teenroo who nearly killed his dad, our flock President, so now we understand why people cull and stew some of their chickens. Unfortunately he was very pretty, and we were emotional about that, but luckily somebody wanted him for their backyard breeding flock. But next time, I'm ready to cull and stew. Nothing pretty is worth accidentally losing the good chickens over.

Good luck. We have a neighbor with a few silkies needing homes, I'll show her your post.

Hi Donna,
I am in S.W. Michigan and I have a little d'uccle hen who is very docile and weighs one and a half pounds. I also have a super nice heated coop and very secure run and yard with no other pets. Would your little Silkie like to join us here? I am a widow with one hen and no dogs or cats I garden and my hen follows me and helps me. I would love to have 2 small hens together. Nancy

Nancy...you and your little hen very happy. I also let my silkie wander with me when I am out gardening and caring for the other chickens, I believe they are a little jealous. I happened upon 2 cochin bantams over Labor Day weekend and they all seem to be fitting in nicely in the "condo" we attached to the big girl coop. thanks for your response, everyone here seems so nice. I am confident it would have been a good fit but I am very happy I didn't have to give her up.

Donna

Back
Top Bottom