Looking for a .22 Handgun. Help?

I have the Sig Mosquito and love to shoot it. My kids love shooting it too as it doesn't have much in the way of recoil. We have Sig 229's in 9mm and .40 so the Mosquito was our choice since all of the controls are in the same place. We figured we could teach the kids on the Mosquito and when they moved up in caliber they wouldn't have much change other than recoil and shot placement. Of course they're all in 4-H Olympic Style Riflery so they'll soon be better shots than either myself or my DH. When I bought the Mosquito I also just happened to buy one with a threaded barrel so I can attach a silencer to it.
clap.gif

I took my 9 year old to the range and found I'd forgotten my .22 when we got there. I rented him a Ruger Mark III and we both really enjoyed that one too. If you can find someone who has one you'd like to try then see if you can. We have several friends with guns and every now and then we'll all meet up and shoot each other's hardware. Gives you a good opportunity to try out several. A couple of years ago we went to a range for our anniversary and DH rented all the .45's for me! I had so much fun! I got to shoot them all! Turns out my favorite was still his beautiful Kimber.

If you're fairly new to shooting (and I apologize if you're not and I missed it. I took my oldest for her first driving lesson tonight and my brain is a little fried now!) go to www.corneredcat.com Her website is geared toward women and covers all kinds of basic info including choosing a gun that fits you properly.

Great, now I want another gun!

You don't need a new gun, you need training.

9mm is a soft shooting round. You feel like there is a lot of recoil because you have never been taught to shoot. Anyone, including Children can and do shoot larger calibers than 9mm all the time. Please look in your area for training classes or perhaps look for a private gun club that offers classes.

As for the .22. they are great and versatile guns. However they are very poor performers for self defense. Yes tons of people have been killed by a .22, however those statistics are skewed. The reason they have so many deaths is because of the sheer amount of use. If you look at true percentage of Incapacitation by caliber you will find the .22 is worse than pathetic. Can they stop a threAT, of course, but not reliably.

Actually handguns as a rule are not very effective. For instance something like 80% of hand gun shooting are survived. I know that the media would have you believe otherwise, but handguns are simply not the weapons of mass destruction most people believe them to be.

Last i would say to buy a quality firearm. If you are set on a .22 fOR varmits, ect. then consider the ruger single six, or MK III. Also the browning buckmark should be considered.

Check out your local pawn shops but if you have a friend who is gun smart take he/she along with you. I have purchased two handguns from pawn shops for very little money and they hav been good guns.
Quote:

Do you have any Gun Stores in your area with their own firing range? Perhaps you could find one and try a few different models before purchasing. Any weapon is only as affective as the person is comfortable in using it. Whatever you decide, Practice...Practice...Practice!!!

Me and the DW both carry Sig. P-220 45's. They have more of a push than a kick.

Quote:
I was just about to suggest this.

.38 Special don't kick too bad, and the ammo is cheap.

IMHO heavier guns may be more awkward to carry around, but it does reduce the recoil. Just something to think about.

Remember that guns don't really lose their value much. If you purchase one, and don't care for it - just resell it.

I've seen beat up and ugly .22 Ruger rifles that cost more than a brand new one.

Quote:
I think this is what I was trying to say in my post. If this little 5'2" female can handle a 45 in one hand, you can do a 9 in both.

At least in this area, good luck finding any .38 special rounds. Hard enough to find 9 and 45.

I agree I need training in it...which is what my cousins are offering to help with. My brother and dad kept making fun of me with it...so I stopped shooting it after 2 rounds. Just got no joy out of it when people are laughing at you.

I was thinking the .22 would be a good starter gun to learn how to handle it properly and then step up from there. I'd get a higher caliber gun when I want to protect myself, but a .22 would be good for protecting my animals.

I LOVE rifles...can shoot those with the best of them, but the handgun thing is still perplexing to me.

Last edited:
The Ruger Mark I, II, or III pistols are accurate and well made. Never shot their .22/45 model, but I've been happy with the 8 Ruger firearms I've purchased. Their bearcat or single six revolvers are also good strudy fireams. The Walther is also a fine handgun. Head down to a local gun store (or a Cabelas if one is near you), and then that way you can see a number of pistols and try them on for size.

For pests up to a coyote, a Ruger 10/22 would also be a good choice. Gives you a longer range, and much more accurate placement of your rounds.

For self protection against two legged predators, time to scale up your firearm choice. Stay away from Jennings, Lorcin, Highpoint. Start at .32 ACP and move up. Find a pistol that fits you, maybe there is a gunstore with a range where you can try them out near you. Try a few, see what you like. My S&W 3913, 5903, 5906, and 4006 were all fine firearms, 9MM and .40 S&W. I carry an HK USP compact in .40 S&W or a Springfield XD compact in .45 ACP. The same gun is not suitable for everyone. Try a few, and get that pistol back from your brother.

Back
Top Bottom