Looking for a breeder/hatchery for less common breeds

??? I don't think that's necessarily true. I don't think I've EVER lost a duckling. Not saying it doesn't happen, but I wouldn't plan on losing more than half, that seems like a very high estimate.

I've ordered from Metzer's (small order of 6) and didn't lose any in shipping or after. I would always go with Metzer's if you're ordering waterfowl from a hatchery.
Just an example I ordered 7 Cayugas:
Gave 2 away; they died leaving 5.
2 froze after getting wet in water dish leaving 3.
2 eaten by coyotes leaving 1.

Just an example I ordered 7 Cayugas:
Gave 2 away; they died leaving 5.
2 froze after getting wet in water dish leaving 3.
2 eaten by coyotes leaving 1.
No offense but those deaths are all management related. Access to deep water, inappropriate temperatures, predators etc can all be prevented with proper management.
I ordered runners from Metzer a few years back. Ordered 10, got 11. I lost 4 in the first 2 days due to mistakes that I made being new to ducks. I've had 2 broods of muscovy hatch with their moms and have lost none.

To the OP:
Why not post in your state's thread in the "where am I, where are you" section. You may be able to find someone locally that either breeds or wants to split an order.

No offense but those deaths are all management related. Access to deep water, inappropriate temperatures, predators etc can all be prevented with proper management.
I ordered runners from Metzer a few years back. Ordered 10, got 11. I lost 4 in the first 2 days due to mistakes that I made being new to ducks. I've had 2 broods of muscovy hatch with their moms and have lost none.
Yes even you lost some due to mistakes being new to ducks. The great learn by inspiration, the wise by observation; and the rest of us by touching an electric fence.

Yes even you lost some due to mistakes being new to ducks. The great learn by inspiration, the wise by observation; and the rest of us by touching an electric fence.

That's a pretty cavalier attitude. These are living creatures. Those were all preventable deaths that wouldn't have happened if you'd bothered to do even a little research beforehand.

That's a pretty cavalier attitude. These are living creatures. Those were all preventable deaths that wouldn't have happened if you'd bothered to do even a little research beforehand.
Uh oh, its Chicken Protective Services. Peace out!

hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom