Looking for a chicken`n`dumpling recipe

OK, this is the one I use, and my family likes it. I'm doing this from memory, so that's why it's not real precise.

I use chicken breasts, but if your family likes dark meat, use thighs or thighs and breasts. I use about 3 good-sized breasts. Put about a tablespoon or so of olive oil in a dutch oven, and put it on medium heat. Coarsely chop a large onion, 2 or 3 ribs of celery, and a couple of carrots, or use about a dozen baby carrots. Add to the oil. Salt and put a lid on, to sweat the veggies for about 5 minutes or so. Add chicken, scooting them up under the veggies to brown a little bit. After about 5 minutes or so, add one quart of chicken broth, about a teaspoon of dried thyme, a bay leaf, and a little bit of salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover. Cook on med-low for an hour or so (works good to cook during church on Sunday; you can put it in the oven on 250 while you're gone).

Remove chicken from pan, cool a little bit, and remove skin and bones. Tear meat up into bite-size pieces. Pour broth and veggies through a colander to remove veggies and discard them; they will be pretty mushy by this point anyway.

In a bowl, whisk together 2 Cups flour, 1 T baking powder & 1 t salt. In a small pan heat 1 C milk & 3 T butter just until butter is melted. Remove from heat, allow to cool for a minute, and add to flour mixture. Stir until blended. This will be your dumplings.

Go back to the dutch oven, melt 4 T butter in it on medium heat. Turn up to med-high and whisk in 6 T flour or maybe just a tad more, and about 1/2 t dried thyme. Cook this, whisking every little while, until foamy and it starts to smell kind of nutty. You want the flour to be cooked. Slowly whisk in 4 C of the broth. Let it come to a boil then reduce heat and simmer. You may want to stir in a T or so of whipping cream. It's really good. Taste, and add salt & pepper to your liking. It will probably need some. When you get it where you like it, stir in the chicken. Turn it almost to low, til you have a good simmer going, but not a boil.

Turn the dumpling dough out on a lightly floured board and turn over just a couple times so it won't be sticky. Divide into about 16 pieces. Flour your hands just enough so it doesn't stick, and pat a piece of dough in your hands just a few seconds so it's not sticky. Drop into the gravy/chicken. When you get them all in (work kind of fast on this), put the lid on and cook for 20 minutes. No peeking; you are baking the top of the dumpling with the steam so don't take off the lid.

This will feed 4 to 6 people, depending on their appetites.

Well.....I dont use a recipe....but will try to help ya out.

I use whatever chicken we have left over from bakeing/broiling. Dark...light...doesnt matter.

Start with a big old pot....put in a few cans of chicken broth...and the chicken pieces. I cut ours pretty large...we like big bites of meat.Bring that to a boil for about 5 minutes. If you like onions...now is the time to add them. Turn dwon the heat, to a simmer.

In a large bowl....I mix about a half cup of lard...( yes I am old fashioned and still use lard) and about ohhhhh......2 maybe 3 cups of flour. ( like I said, no recipe here, I go by feel) Add salt....ummmm, maybe 1/2 teaspoon? and a little milk. Mix this all together...untill its thick but sticky batter. Back at the pot...turn the heat up a little to get it boiling...and drop the batter in by spoonfulls ( or just good size clumps) after all dumplins are in there, turn the heat back down...put the lid on, and let it simmer for say....20 minutes. The flour from the dumplins should thicken the broth, if not, you can add a little corn starch. ( take about 1/2 cup of the broth out of the pot....cool it down a little if needed with a little water...and add about 1 to 2 tablespoons of corn starch.) stir it up good, and pour it back into the pot. You might want to add salt...but we dont...but add LOTS of pepper before serving. Hope this works for ya. Let me know if you try it. My family loves it over mashed potatos..with a slice of onion and fresh hot biscuits on the side ( with home made jam of course)

That sounds so good I may go kill one of my ornery roosters tonight.
fl.gif
D.gif

Hi all y'all!
Here in the Deep South... chicken and dumplins is a religion and a way of life-like Wednesday night bible study and cracklins and spicy cornbread dressing on Thanksgiving.

The way I was taught was: put a fresh-killed and bled cleaned bird in a pot big enough to cook it in. Fill with enough cold water to cover by an inch, add ONE bay leaf One sage leaf several just cracked black peppercorns and a heavy pinch of salt. Bring to a boil skim and turn down heat to slow simmer. After an hour, remove the bird set aside to cool then debone. In simmering pot place whatever veggies all y'all's family likes to eat or if you have picky kids put in at least some "holy trinity" which is 'onion,celery and bell pepper.' Also in winter time root veggies like carrots parsnips and turnips do fine. Succotash is nice from the fall garden. Strain broth and ste aside veggies keeping pot hot to boil and plate warm. For the dumplins and I'm not talking about yankee lumps of sticky goo or biscuits here; three cups self-rising flour, pinch salt 1/4 cup corn oil cup of buttermilk(fresh if YOU made it store bought if you were too lazy and forgot what's for supper tonight you fool!) mix through as lightly as possible, roll out to 1/8 inch thick and cut into one inch wide strips. Slip all of your dumplins one at a time into boiling broth gently stirring so they don't stick into one lump of yankee goo. When these start to float to the top add all of your plated meat and veggies to warm thoroughly. Season to your picky kids taste or grab the Tony Chachere's! All y'all enjoy!

i have one, the one I grew up on...the PA dutch grandmas really know how to cook
smile.png

Pennsylvania Dutch pot pie (botboi, in the dialect) is not a pie but rather a dish akin to Southern chicken and dumplings or chicken and pastry. The dumplings are flat squares made from a dough that resembles pie dough and cooked in a pot of broth—hence, pot pie.

i copied this from a website since i never really used any measurements, my grandmas measurements were like a pinch of this and a drizzle of that so thats the way i leanred to make it and it's addicting!!

INGREDIENTS

* 2 quarts water
* One 3 to 3-1/2 pound chicken
* 1 celery rib
* 1 medium onion
* 1 medium carrot
* 1 bay leaf
* Salt and pepper to taste
* 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
* 2 medium potatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
* Potpie dough (see below)
* 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
* 3 tablespoons flour blended with 3 tablespoons cup cold water (optional, for thickening)

Cook chicken in simmering water with celery, carrot, 1 onion, bay leaf, salt and pepper until tender, about 1 hour. Remove chicken from broth. When cool enough to handle, remove chicken from bones, discard skin, and pull apart or cut into bite-size pieces. Strain the broth and skim off most of fat. Taste broth for seasoning and add additional salt and pepper if needed.

Bring chicken broth to a boil in a 4-quart pot. Add the reserved chicken. Gradually layer the potpie dough squares into the boiling liquid, one-by-one, alternating with layers of the onion and potato slices, gently pushing down each layer until covered with the broth. Reduce heat and cover pot. Simmer, stirring gently on occasion to prevent dough from clumping together, until dough is thoroughly cooked, about 20 minutes. Stir in parsley, cover and simmer an additional 5 minutes. (If desired, add flour and water paste to thicken broth at this time. Stir into broth very well to combine.) Serve immediately.

POTPIE DOUGH

* 2-1/2 cups unsifted all purpose flour
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 3 large eggs
* 1 tablespoon cold water

Mix 2 cups of the flour with the salt, eggs and water. Work in enough of the remaining 1/2 cup flour to make a stiff dough. Knead about 10 minutes. (Can be mixed and kneaded in processor or electric mixer.) Roll dough on a lightly floured surface into as thin a sheet as possible (or use a pasta rolling machine). Cut into 2-inch squares. Set aside until needed. (Place in single layers and separate with waxed or parchment paper.)

i will look and see if i can find something like this at the store. the southwest is very different from the south, so i may not, but i'll look.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom