Looking for a docile breed that is not so broody

In reference to your comment concerning ducks.
They should be able to get along with our three runner ducks that they would be sharing a run with. We were really keen on Orpingtons, but I am becoming more and more concerned.

I have had experience with ducks and chickens in the same area. Does not work if you want clean water for the chickens. The ducks are always puddling in the water and making a mess. I sent mine to the pond in about two weeks and they never came back to the coop. They have remained there ever since and the first year one hatched 13 babies. I just give them a little corn and they mostly eat pond stuff and snails. The ducks came from TSC.

I got my Orpington BECAUSE they're reputed for being broody, and she is. She's only a year, so I don't know yet how often she'll go, or how hard she'll be to break. So far she is very docile, even when broody, so I understand the pet appeal :)

My marans is hands off; the ameraucanas are flighty. My sussex & welsummers might have been friendlier with more hand-raising...

Honestly the isas are the second most docile in my flock. My daughter used to always be carrying one around with her. They're lovely if you can deal with the potentially high turnover - which I'm assuming is why you don't want hybrids as pets? That said, I've had purebred birds keel over for no apparent reason almost as often as the isas. We had one isa that was too sweet to "retire", and she followed me around for ~5 years.

I’m rather new to chickens so take my suggestion with a grain of salt. We have three Black Asutralords which are just about one year old. The are very sweet and gentle they all get along no bulling. All three are good layers one started laying a bit late but we get 2-3 eggs just about every day. Haven’t been broody but I think they are to young yet for that.

Hello, I would very much appreciate an advice on selecting the right chicken breed for us. We really would like them to be friendly and docile (as we hope for them to become our pets too and children would like to actively participate in looking after them). They should be able to get along with our three runner ducks that they would be sharing a run with. We were really keen on Orpingtons, but I am becoming more and more concerned about their tendency to go broody several times a year. Keep working on breaking their broodiness would be an issue for us for several reasons. Plymouth Rock was our second choice, but again seems to be a very broody one. Also, we kind of would prefer not to go for hybrids.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Golden Comets! Sweet and non broody. And great egg layers too

Many thanks for all the responses! There seem to be a great prevalence of voices against keeping the ducks and chickens sharing their run, so I guess I will have to leave my perhaps a bit utopic idea of the two species co-living together. However, I am kind of hoping that our current run is large enough (10x6m) to split half-ish with a simple chicken fence to separate the 3 ducks from 5-7 hens in a hope that they can forage a few hours a day in the garden together.

I know you prefer heritage breeds. But hybrids are less prone to disease, and most...I think at least...don’t go broody.
I recommend golden comets and Easter Eggers. I think Easter Eggers would be a fun breed for kids. They are very docile...especially if you hand raise them.

I've had quite a few hatchery orpingtons and none of them have ever gone broody. I did have a black set link go broody once though. I think with hatchery birds it's just random. I'd 2nd the recomendation for Easter eggers. I've had quite a few of them. None have gone broody and you kids would love the eggs.

I've had quite a few hatchery orpingtons and none of them have ever gone broody. I did have a black set link go broody once though. I think with hatchery birds it's just random. I'd 2nd the recomendation for Easter eggers. I've had quite a few of them. None have gone broody and you kids would love the eggs.
When they do occasionally go broody they are amazing mothers too! So it's a double win-win! ( My easter egger didn't go broody until she was three years old )
I also agree with hatchery birds having random broodiness.
My buff Orpingtons have never gone broody!

Polish chickens might work. None of my Plymouth Rocks ever went broody and I have never heard of them even going broody. Are you looking for a breed that lays a lot of eggs?

Back
Top Bottom