Looking for a HIGH production layer that breeds true that isn't a white leghorn.

Jun 28, 2021
Broadview MT
I am looking for a high production layer that is a true breed recognised by the American poultry association. Even if it is not recognized but can be bred true.
I am looking for a bird that consistantly lays 5-6 large to extra large eggs a week. I absolutely love my sapphire gems for this but I know they are hybrids and cannot breed true.
Can you help me out? Or do you recommend a specific cross? One where I could have a pen of one type of rooster over another breed of hen?
Thank you!

I'm a little confused that you are deterred by the saphire gems being hybrids but then ask about making hybrids?

To the first part, there are non-white varieties of leghorn.

Most hatcheries have charts on their websites showing what size / frequency their different breeds lay. And it's important to compare the hatcheries because they have different lines which can matter almost as much as breed.

I'm a little confused that you are deterred by the saphire gems being hybrids but then ask about making hybrids?

To the first part, there are non-white varieties of leghorn.

Most hatcheries have charts on their websites showing what size / frequency their different breeds lay. And it's important to compare the hatcheries because they have different lines which can matter almost as much as breed.
Nothing against a hybrid, I breed them for green eggs. That being said, I was wanting a docile bird that lays like the sapphire gem but I know you can't breed two sapphire gems together and get another gem. You will most likely get the genetics from the parent breeds. Hence my question, if I couldn't find one that isn't like it, maybe just skip to having a hybrid pen for myself.
I don't particularly like rhode island reds, not the nicest birds.

Back
Top Bottom