A stable breed brown egg layer of commercial value - possible?

rockethoe

Songster
Sep 9, 2023
Hi folks! for the last few years I've been bemoaning the fact that no one has bred an equivalent of the leghorn for brown egg layers yet.
Seems like since hybrids came along, efforts have stopped on breeding heritage birds for production.

My plan this coming season is to take the first steps on what will likely be a lifetimes work - breeding a stable breed of brown egg layer that has commercial value.

The brief is -
A healthy, vigorous hen, adapted to free range outdoor environment, good forager, with good temperament who reliably lays 300-320 eggs a year, and breeds true to type for those traits.
I have no concern about the patterning, colour or appearance of the breed, excepting where it indicates the health or egg laying capabilities of the breed.

Starting stock - taking suggestions! current forerunners a likely
Rhode Island red
New hampshire
Slovenian brown hen (if I can get stock!)
production leghorn

I have toyed with the idea of finding a good hybrid, and crossing them with a cock of one of the above as well.

A copy of Genetics of the Fowl: The Classic Guide to Poultry Breeding and Chicken Genetics: Volume 3 (Norton Creek Classics) is currently winging its way to me so that might help me in making the decisions, but hoping to gain some insights from the hive mind here.
We have always kept hens, but have never bred with any real intent before, so this is new ground for us.

welcoming all ideas, advice, criticism and foul mouthed dissuasions.

I don’t know if they are still this but back in the day, Rhode Island Red rivaled white Leghorns in egg laying abilities.

Yes, Production Red would be the modern equivalent. Even though the bird pictured is a red sexlink.
Aren't they the same thing?
Production reds and red sex link?

No, just no. Commercial egg laying factories are horrible for chickens, and increasing egg production shortens their lifespan. A lot of us on here have chickens because we want our eggs sourced humanely. Why even go there?
this is exactly why I want to breed my own.

I didnt realise this- I thought production reds were synonymous with hybrid red. It appears we cannot buy that strain of Rhode Island red here, only hybrid hens or usual Rhode Island red.
Is there anywhere Europe or Europe adjacent that I could buy hatching eggs of this strain of RIR?
some sites say that production red is a red sex link, and are RIRxNew Hampshire, so would not breed true. I'm confused.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom