Looking for advice on treating burst abscess near hen's breastbone

Yurd Ahd

Chirping
5 Years
May 19, 2014
A couple days ago I noticed one of my hens not being as active as the others. She also has been in the egg sitting position more than usual even outside the nest. Today when I looked under her in the nest box I noticed she has burst abscess (I noticed this same abscess as a small lump earlier this year). She flies off the top perch of the coop and out the door a lot so I am thinking that had to do with how she got it in the first place (repetitive injury of the breastbone area) - so made it so she can't do that anymore. My other hens do not have abscesses (also do not fly crazy off the top perch like she does). Pretty sure she is still eating as she is not a skinny chicken but haven't seen her poop. I also use straw for bedding. But for now there is a good size hole where it is and seems to have drained but I am worried it might be infected. I have been reading about chicken abscess all day and there are many suggestions such as flushing the open abscess with salt water (which is the first and only thing I have done so far) and also mentions using betadine and also of giving antibiotics. She didn't mind me flushing too much at all and it took many flushes before I even seen a slight hint of blood coming out. Should I give her antibiotics? If so, what kind? Should I try to remove parts of or squeeze it? Can I use triple antibiotic ointment even though it is for "external use only"? I know that this is often a chronic issue and some people put their hens down because of it but she doesn't seem to be that bothered by it so far and I am willing to try treating it. Thanks

Attachments

• GEDC4887.JPG
    GEDC4887.JPG
    461.9 KB · Views: 136
  • GEDC4889.JPG
    GEDC4889.JPG
    416.6 KB · Views: 84
Most likely it is a breast blister that has abscessed. They are common in chickens who roost excessively or sit on the ground in wet or soiled bedding. I once had a young rooster who was being bullied who got one from roosting day and night in a pen with 2 others.

I would clean it with betadine, and apply antibiotic ointment, such as plain neosporin once or twice a day. Breast blisters may be common in mycoplasma synovitis or MS, but may be from prolonged pressure on the breast bone or from a rough roost or perch.

You may want to examine her leg and ankle joints for any swelling, common in MS.

That is correct plain neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment. No pain relief ingredients such as lidocaine, benzocaine, or pramocaine which may be toxic in chickens.

I have one but it has Pramoxine HCI... that's bad right? If so I will have to go out and get the regular kind. So you don't recommend antibiotic injection?

Since the abscess is opened and able to drain, I would not use them. But if you were seeing a vet they might well prescribe one. Do you have one in mind? Oral ones would work as well.

You can purchase procaine penicillin G injectable in the refigerated medicines at TSC and other stores. You will need 4 syringes 3 ml with 20 gauge 1/2 to 1 inch needles. Give 1/4 ml into the breast muscle 1/4 inch deep once a day for 4 days. There are others, but that one will treat staphylococcus bacteria. Or just play it by ear.

Back
Top Bottom