1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Looking for advice!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Cowgirl9102, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Cowgirl9102

Cowgirl9102 New Egg

Sep 29, 2015
    Eolia,MO
    Hello everyone!
    I'm new to the world of chickens and my husband and I just bought a small farm and are planning on adding chickens! What I want to ask is; what breeds would work best for us?

We want them for eggs, but we also have 14 month old twins, so I want hens that will be egg producers and friendly enough for my daughters to interact and play with them. We plan on getting chicks from the start to avoid introducing multiple grown hens to each other.

I've been doing a lot of research and the two that I am most interested in are the Americaunas and the Barred Rocks. Any other suggestions?

Thank you!!

2. The Chicken-Boy

The Chicken-Boy Out Of The Brooder

Red Stars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are SO friendly and are great layers.

1 person likes this.
  3. Cowgirl9102

Cowgirl9102 New Egg

Sep 29, 2015
    Eolia,MO
    Okay!
    I also forgot I am in MO and sometimes we have pretty cold winters, our plan for our coop is to be able to provide heat lamps, or some other heat source for them, from what I read the two breeds I mentioned earlier do pretty okay during winter, will Red Stars also?

4. JGodshall12

JGodshall12 New Egg

Sep 13, 2015
    I'm just starting out too and have heard that brahmas are a great and gentle bird as well. This site has a bunch of reviews on a lot of different breeds too. Check out that section of you haven't already. I found it quite helpful to see other people's experiences and thoughts on the different birds listed in there. As well as ameraucana and barred rocks in also looking into bantam polish, cochins, and std. australorps. Maybe a sussex too. Keep us posted on what you choose and where you end up getting them! Best of wishes!

5. Cowgirl9102

Cowgirl9102 New Egg

Sep 29, 2015
    Eolia,MO

Thank you so much! I will definitely look into that section and see if I can find some more reviews...I'd rather see what people have to say instead of just reading things online! Thank you for help!

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. The Chicken-Boy

They are fine in VA..... I do not know about MO...... If they have heat lamps and are protected from the elements they should be OK....

8. The Chicken-Boy

[​IMG]

9. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You may want to join your state thread - put "Missouri state thread," in the search box and it will pop up. People from your area can best advise you on the breeds that handle the climate best, and what type of coop you may need. With heaters there is always the danger of fire. Chickens are much better at dealing with cold, than with heat extremes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by