1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Looking for advice....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Michelle Patton, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Michelle Patton

Michelle Patton New Egg

Jun 2, 2017
    I am just wondering if anyone has seen anything like this. This is Jolene, one of my 5 week old babies. She walks fine but when she stops, she sits on her butt and wobbles getting up. She acts fine and gets along with the other babies she just looks like she has crazy legs when she's just standing around. I don't know if it's neurological or something wrong with her legs. Just wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this.

Attached Files:

2. peopleRanimals2

peopleRanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    She has a splayed leg. Has she had this since she was a chick?

3. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Professional in training Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
  4. Michelle Patton

Michelle Patton New Egg

Jun 2, 2017
    No. It started about a week and a half ago. I have been giving her poly vi sol and looking at her leg, but I don't know exactly what I am looking for. I'm new to chickens. She walks ok and runs fast...it's just when she stops.

5. peopleRanimals2

peopleRanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    Ok, so maybe not a splayed leg. Btw KikisGirls, the link you posted isn't working for me, do you think you could post the chart directly into the thread? Thanks

6. KikisGirls

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
  7. KikisGirls

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    • Essential nutrients include:
      • Calcium (in appropriate amount--Adult feeds can have too much calcium for chicks), Vitamin E, Selenium.
      • VITAMIN B IS VERY IMPORTANT for leg health. Just adding a Vitamin B Complex to a chicken's food will cure some leg problems.
      • BE CAREFUL about giving supplements with minerals to chicks. Some minerals (especially calcium or iron) in excess can cause serious problems in chicks.
    YOU MENTIONED YOU HAVE BEEN GIVING BABY VITAMINS>>>THAT IS WHaT POLY what ever is right?
    Does it contain IRON?

8. Michelle Patton

Michelle Patton New Egg

Jun 2, 2017
    No. I got it without iron.

KikisGirls likes this.
  9. KikisGirls

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    What are you feeding them?
    A complete grower feed?

It may be she/he injured something in a fall/jump.
    Slings work pretty good to help a chicken recover from injury.

10. Michelle Patton

Michelle Patton New Egg

Jun 2, 2017
    They are eating starter/grower. I'm going to try a sling. She's so fast still...It happened shortly after moving outside so I was thinking that somehow she hurt herself.

KikisGirls likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by