Looking for advice....

Michelle Patton

Hatching
Jun 2, 2017
I am just wondering if anyone has seen anything like this. This is Jolene, one of my 5 week old babies. She walks fine but when she stops, she sits on her butt and wobbles getting up. She acts fine and gets along with the other babies she just looks like she has crazy legs when she's just standing around. I don't know if it's neurological or something wrong with her legs. Just wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this.

Attachments

• IMG_1094.JPG
    IMG_1094.JPG
    947.5 KB · Views: 33
She has a splayed leg. Has she had this since she was a chick?
No. It started about a week and a half ago. I have been giving her poly vi sol and looking at her leg, but I don't know exactly what I am looking for. I'm new to chickens. She walks ok and runs fast...it's just when she stops.

• Essential nutrients include:
    • Calcium (in appropriate amount--Adult feeds can have too much calcium for chicks), Vitamin E, Selenium.
    • VITAMIN B IS VERY IMPORTANT for leg health. Just adding a Vitamin B Complex to a chicken's food will cure some leg problems.
    • BE CAREFUL about giving supplements with minerals to chicks. Some minerals (especially calcium or iron) in excess can cause serious problems in chicks.
YOU MENTIONED YOU HAVE BEEN GIVING BABY VITAMINS>>>THAT IS WHaT POLY what ever is right?
Does it contain IRON?

• Essential nutrients include:
    • Calcium (in appropriate amount--Adult feeds can have too much calcium for chicks), Vitamin E, Selenium.
    • VITAMIN B IS VERY IMPORTANT for leg health. Just adding a Vitamin B Complex to a chicken's food will cure some leg problems.
    • BE CAREFUL about giving supplements with minerals to chicks. Some minerals (especially calcium or iron) in excess can cause serious problems in chicks.
YOU MENTIONED YOU HAVE BEEN GIVING BABY VITAMINS>>>THAT IS WHaT POLY what ever is right?
Does it contain IRON?
No. I got it without iron.

What are you feeding them?
A complete grower feed?

It may be she/he injured something in a fall/jump.
Slings work pretty good to help a chicken recover from injury.

They are eating starter/grower. I'm going to try a sling. She's so fast still...It happened shortly after moving outside so I was thinking that somehow she hurt herself.

Back
Top Bottom