Looking for advise on what breed of chicken to add to my flock...

Silkie75

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 30, 2012
Hello. I have five 7 1/2 month old Silkies (4 pullets, 1 cockerel). This is my first flock and first experience with chickens. I wanted Silkies as I think they are so adorable and friendly. When I got them I knew they weren't great layers. None of them have layed as of yet. I also realize that it is winter and egg production decreases largely during the winter (we're in NY). I'm wondering if anyone has any advise as to a breed that I can add (2-3 hens) that would be good layers and would be suitable to live with Silkies. I realize they may not lay until Spring also, I'm just looking for ideas ahead of time so I can prepare and start my search. I'm just thinking that my Silkies aren't going to give us enough eggs (once they do start laying)- and I'll be frustrated that I have to keep on buying eggs from the store. Any help would be greatly appreciated! (Also, I heard brown eggs are better- but I don't know if this is true. If it is, I would like brown layers.)
smile.png

Brown and white eggs are both good and healthy, neither is better :)

I have a barred rock in with my silkies and she's a good layer. She doesn't bug the silkies or anything. I also have a red star and a welsummer in there too. But really I think any breed is going to be okay. Barred rocks are good layers though!

Thanks Nike! I just looked up Barred Rocks and they sound like they would be a good fit! And they are really pretty too! This might sound like a silly question, but since I have Silkies and they can't fly, I'm unaware of how a "flying" chicken would do free range... I only let mine free range when I'm out in the yard- as I have 2 neighbors with dogs who get loose ALL THE TIME- grrrrrrrr... So I would be out there with them. Do they come back to the coop easily or are they hard to catch? Will they be flying all over the neighborhood (if so, I probably couldn't let them out)? My Silkies stay in my yard. Thanks! (BTW, our house is approved to have chickens, but we only have 2.5 acres)

Well they do fly more than silkies but my barred rock usually just stays in the yard. It kind of depends on the bird, if they're more docile or not. I have the same problem with dogs except their my own! But if you just keep an eye on them I think you'll be fine! If she starts going too far throw some scratch or something by you cause she'll run and get it!

Back
Top Bottom