Looking for another opinion on breed/coloring of this chick...

Trombygirl

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 23, 2015

These fluff balls are two out of four "silver laced wyandottes". I was excited to find them along with some easter eggers, buffs, and australorps at the local Feldman's this late in the season. I got them home and settled in, then I thought about it and realized they were brown. Aren't SLW chicks supposed to be black and white? Next to the Australorps they are definitely brown. Their feathers are starting to come in and they look like they could be GLWs, but I know the first feathers they get don't always look like the end result once they are done growing. For those of you who have had them before; do these look like GLWs? I will be thrilled either way, I want both. This my first bunch of chicks. My husband and I are finishing a permanent coop and they are staying in the brooder in the basement for now. Just looking other opinions to see if my guess might be right.

I am fairly new with chickens, so I am no expert by any means, but I would think they are GLW's. I have 2 SLW and 2 GLW chicks, a few weeks old. The silvers are more black and white looking and my golds are more brown.

They have muffs, so not GLW's. Could be EE's based on the birds the store was selling. If they have green legs that would pretty much confirm it.

Good to know. I wanted lots of green/blue eggs so meant to get 6 EEs, now it looks like I may have 10 lol. The other ones they said were EEs are all light colored with a darker area right on top of their head.

I'm betting they didn't have them sorted right and I just got a weird mix. I'm pretty sure my Buffs are what they should be, but now I wonder if the SLWs were mixed with the Australorps and someone didn't know they were different. Your right about the tufts though, at least two of the brown ones have them as well as the other EEs.

Agreed. The muffs are almost a solid confirmation (but other breeds have muffs). SLW will have yellow legs (could be pearl at up to about 3days old, but will turn yellow) I don't see that.

Back
Top Bottom