Looking for BlackBerry Bushes WITH THORNS

Jlw0903

Songster
Jul 2, 2019
Local garden supply and nurseries seems to only have the thornless varieties which is not very practical for us since we have lots of deer and other wildlife.
I live in southeast WI so something fairly hardy would be good.

Does anyone know any good online suppliers that would have some

Won't dear still eat the berries? Well, I don't know much about that sort of stuff so ;).
They will be less likely to eat the actual plant down to nothing. At least not when theres other things to eat that dont have thorns. Deer eat everything. They destroyed my garden last year. It was my first time doing a garden so it was a good lesson learned but I was really sad. Luckily it happened fairly early so the plants were able to recover somewhat and I could get at least a few veggies.

I ordered some from this place:
https://www.penseberryfarm.com/Blackberry-Plant-Varieties-s/1856.htm
They have a lot of varieties, both with and without thorns (check the descriptions to see which is which.)

Note, the prices at Pense Berry Farm look really cheap, but you do have to order at least three plants per variety. (I was looking for one of these and one of those, but ended up getting three each from here because it was cheaper than one each from other sources, for the particular varieties I wanted.)

I ordered mine this fall, and they arrived as typical bare-root plants (meaning, they look "dead" for now but are expected to grow when spring comes.) They looked as healthy and well-packed as any other bare-root plants I've ordered, but obviously I haven't yet seen them growing (because Spring isn't here!)

I ordered thornless blackberries and raspberries myself, so my variety choices won't be right for you :)

Back
Top Bottom