Looking for BlackBerry Bushes WITH THORNS

They will be less likely to eat the actual plant down to nothing. At least not when theres other things to eat that dont have thorns. Deer eat everything. They destroyed my garden last year. It was my first time doing a garden so it was a good lesson learned but I was really sad. Luckily it happened fairly early so the plants were able to recover somewhat and I could get at least a few veggies.

Okay, thanks for the info. :) I'm sorry about your garden. :( I always fence mine.

Two legged predators come and steal mine in baskets lol (I don't really care, we don't eat them anyway, but the chickens enjoy them).
I don’t have enough blackberry bushes for people to steal from. Lol. We had about half an acre of them, but honeysuckle took over last year and choked them out. We used a bush hog and cleared out most of it, leaving about 6 bushes. I plan on pulling up as much honeysuckle as I can find.

That would definitely be a consideration. I might try making a fence cage around a few bushes and putting netting over the top of that. I do that with young trees we plant.

I may try that with one of them. Most of them are sprawling and cover a good 4 ft squared area.

Let us know how it works out! Maybe a 4' round fence? If you cover it over with net, it only has to be about 4' tall to keep the little animals from getting caught in the net. I have to warn you that a bird CAN get caught in the net. A robin got caught in the net over our chicken run, and when I found her she was dead. It was heartbreaking.

Since my blueberries are still small I plan on making a wire mesh surround and putting the netting over top for now. Maybe I can put netting around the wire too to keep birds from getting in at all (if it's taut, that should help minimize any birds getting tangled in it). Really just need the bushes to get big enough to not get wrecked by rabbits at this point since they're the main issue right now.

Back
Top Bottom