So what are you trying to accomplish with this new breed? I know you said a good dual purpose that goes broody and forages well, in your OP. How will these 3 breeds create a better breed than what exists?

The New Hamshires are about as good as a dual purpose gets and the one in your avatar looks decent. The Jersey's are slow to mature and too big, and Rocks are almost as good as a New Hampshire though a little bigger/slower growing.

I guess what i'm getting at is, if you were to put this energy and motivation into a breed that already exists, but needs a lot of help, you will have the end result you are looking for, and help save/improve an old breed. I don't see anything gained in the end by mixing these breeds, and no matter what "the calculator" tells you, it's going to be a lot more work than you're thinking.

I'm certainly not trying to tell you not to go through with this project. Just trying to bring awareness to the fact that old, productive, and worthy breeds, are dying out and need the help of motivated people like you.
Thank you guys so much for the input, i know now. Im defintly not going to use jersey giants. Im still going to do this, but I will reconsider what breeds lm going to use. New hampshires will always be my faves so I will always breed them. So what im saying is this project is on the backburner till next year. So do guys have any suggestions in what you would want to see in this new breed.

Last edited:
Hi,
I think you should use the same allele base for both breeds. skip the fancy extremities like crests and muffs and feathered feet. that way your breed will be more dual purpose and you won't have to do a lot of extra culling while you're establishing it.
Karen

Back
Top Bottom