Looking for cheap awning style windows

We used the old windows from a derelict house on our property. If you can find some windows from a flea market or on CL or FB marketplace, they would be less expensive.

Depending on where you live, you could also just cover some window-sized holes with hardware cloth and then make a shutter for colder weather.

Then you can build your own awnings from wood or pvc and canvas...

I’m building a coop and looking for a cheaper alternative than spending $120 on each window from Menards. Anybody know of anything cheaper that seals good for winter time?

The windows do not need to seal good for winter time.
That is a misconception oft seen here. What we consider a draft on our bare human skin is not a draft on a bird. You don't want to see their feathers ruffling much at all. A little leakage is actually good as it will introduce fresh air and help the stack effect move the moist damp air out your high ventilation points.

I am in the process of converting a shed into my new coop. I found a local person who gets old windows that are removed from old houses by a window contractor.

After stripping them, reglazing them and putting fresh high grade exterior primer and paint on them, I will have spent about $25 each for 33"x21" windows and $40 each for 60"x16" windows.

Frame the RO (rough opening) for a 1/4" gap all the way around, install hinges on top and use hooks/chains to hold the windows open however much you want. I will be using 1x3 lathe on the inside of the framing as stops for the windows as well as wind blocks. Install the HC on the interior side of the framing. You can also buy and install simple window latches to latch the window on the outside of the coop but I've found this isn't necessary.

I found my windows through CL. Incidentally, the guy had old vinyl double pane windows with built in mullions. He assured me I could top hinge them too but I shied away from that idea. Something to think about at least.

I know the chickens will be fine in the cold. I just want to keep the drafts out so it will stay worm enough so there water won’t freeze. I just found some old barn sash windows that looks like they would be pretty easy to make work like yours but he doesn’t have 3 matching ones. Not a huge deal but it would be nice to find matching.

I know the chickens will be fine in the cold. I just want to keep the drafts out so it will stay worm enough so there water won’t freeze. I just found some old barn sash windows that looks like they would be pretty easy to make work like yours but he doesn’t have 3 matching ones. Not a huge deal but it would be nice to find matching.

I hear ya!

All my 5 windows have 6 or 8 panes, depending on total window size, but the only ones I insisted had to match were the pair that will go on the front of the coop. The styles are similar enough on the rest and them that being on different sides of the coop it won't look bad.

I bought 4 double hung windows online when I built my coop for $29 a piece, your right they were too pricey from home improvement stores, I had to check 5 stores.

AD2B42FC-7809-49F7-B0EE-7BCB062CD100.jpeg

I just want to keep the drafts out so it will stay worm enough so there water won’t freeze.
'Drafty' windows is not gonna make this happen...there's much more to it than that.
A heated waterer is the best bet.
Ventilation is important all year around...makes 'holding heat' in a coop moot.

Welcome to BYC!
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-3-18_10-29-41.png

Back
Top Bottom