Looking for chickens in or near Independence, KS

hwerner and janetrike!!!! You're both in Independence!!! Us too. We've heard there are a lot of people here with chickens, but we can't seem to actually find them. Are you in the city or are you guys lucky enough to be county?

I'm outside of town. I was in town until a few years ago.....I'm so glad to be out away from all the people and neighbors. We used to be over by Walgreens, so this is a blessing to be out here now.

You are so lucky. We moved here last year and I rapidly became disappointed. At least my immediate neighbors are okay. We've got 3 lots though, so we're not in each others back pockets. I have a dream of us all banding together to get rezoned county. LOL

This is our first year with chickens. DHs been after me for years to get some.

Have you been over to the 4-H fair this weekend? Pretty dismal.
sad.png

We've got 4 RIRs, 2 BRs, 3 EEs, 1 Buff Brahma.

12939_chick_pics_001.jpg

12939_chick_pics_050.jpg

Last edited:
(A little off topic)
I have been to Independence many times. I used to date a girl from Liberty and we used to go to Independence since it was the biggest and closest town around.

My EEs and BB came from Liberty. Not sure where it is from here though.

Ellie_NY_chick- Our other property is rural Butler county. DH and DS built coop/run/feed/etc. trying to get me to give in on getting chickens. DH didn't take predators into account when he built the run. He had the unopened bag of feed on the back porch. About day 2 I noticed it was open. DH denied doing it. About 4th night I went out to do something and about got mugged for the feed by 4-6 big raccoons. I pointed out the run probs to DH and that was the last he bugged me about chickens until here.

In 1 summer we had rattlesnake/cottonmouth/raccoon and badger issues. Then I watched 1 of those big cats stalk across neighbors yard. I didn't go into backyard or allow kids out after that. If/when we move back we've got major chicken/predator issues to address.

Omg I am moving as soon as I can to that area. I have Marans, Grey and Blacktailed Japanese going to start a meat bird line, I also have two colors of Oegbs and just started a bantam Barred Rock flock. I also just got some modern games but they havn't done anything only being still about 3 months.

I am so looking forward to moving there. I have planned this for two years!

Let me know of any out of town properties that come up ok?

Arklady

Yeah but it doesn't cover For Sale by Owners. I would need that info.

Some of the real estate agents are still a bit high....

Thanks....

Arklady

Back
Top Bottom