Looking for Christmas Menu Suggestions

Quote:
Yes pudding is misleading. It is a batter that is deep fried. But so much better than fried bread. I haven't made it in years, so I don't have a recipe. As I remember it is a thin batter that you keep chilled in the fridge. Then you fill muffin tins half full of fat. For true Yorkshire pudding you use the fat off the Prime Rib. Then you get the fat smokin hot in the oven (like 450*F) and drop the batter into the muffin tins. Return to the oven for a few minutes. It will puff up, then slightly collapse. Serve with gravy. There are probably a million versions of it. Popovers are very similar but made with veg oil. That is my experience making them. They are to die for. Think kinda like a savory version of puff pastry.
BTW- they can be extremely messy in your oven. Line the oven, put a baking sheet under and have the fan on too, can be a bit smoky.

Imp

we do prime rib every christmas.. we have them remove it from the bone for easier slicing.. but have them tie it back on the bone to roast it.. we have ceasar salad and baked potatoes with sourcream, cheese, bacon pieces and chives.. simple but yummy.. then a great dessert.

M'M........thanks for the ideas. Yorkshire pudding sounds great, might have to try it. Salad and baked potatoes, too...........I can hardly wait!

A bone in Pork center cut rib roast. Roast Pork is always a winner and the side dishes are endless that go with Pork.

AL

Roasted winter veggies will be wonderful with prime rib-horseradish, Yorkshire pudding and gravy, maybe a cranberry salad for tartness and color. Choose brussel sprouts, sweet potatoes, and such--healthy, colorful, tasty. Rum cake or something with lemon curd (or both!) would be divine for dessert. I think we've created our Christmas menu here on the forum:) ~G

i was going to suggest roasted winter veggies too. I use baby carrots, brussel spouts and cubed turnip (rootabaga if youre in the south). I toss them all with olive oil, kosher salt, fresh cracked pepper and a little chopped homegrown rosemary (which will go well with the horseraddish and prime rib). Roast in a good hot oven until the veggies start getting tender... then I start stirring in a little cream, about a 1/4 cup into the roasting pan. Reapeat a couple more times with the cream until the veggies are tender and browned and the cream makes a nice sauce right there in the pan. You can leave out the cream to save some calories, its plenty good without it, but its a nice touch.
My crew likes potatos any way you can make them, but for a change, i might do a mac and cheese or a tri color pasta salad with basil and cherry tomatos. I dont usually do one big dessert, there are ususally tons of fuge and cookies and pies around and folks take their pick, but a pecan pie would finish this meal nicely I think.

We're doing a roast goose with rice stuffing and veggies and candied sweet potatoes and a lovely waldorf salad. We decided to do a Dickensian Christmas this year. Not sure what we'll do for desert, I'm thinking we'll founder with just the above!

My first time cooking goose, anyone here have any recipe or cooking tips?

We always serve a dry-aged prime rib (aged for at least 4 days in the 'fridge). One year I forgot to make my famous horseradish sauce to go with it and have never lived it down.

The usual recipe is: equal parts of sour cream and mayo, a generous dollop of dijon mustard and as much horseradish as you like.

The year I forgot to make it, I had run out of sour cream (the HORROR) and improvised by using the dill dip from the crudite. It was OUTSTANDING! So, I recommend it with or without dill, whatever you prefer.

Quote:
If youre doing a dickens christmas menu then you MUST do a christmas pudding for dessert (again-pudding is misleading, its actually a very moist steamed cake) I mean this is seriously required! I have to get mine started soon myself, for my Irish born and raised husband. I have my mother in laws recipe and she starts hers around Easter so it can cure. I just let mine cure for a few days... I dont put as much booze in it as she does. Im including a link to a recipe simmilar to hers.. she substitutes Guiness for milk, being Irish and all.
lol.png

Im refering to the recipe # 3 on this page

http://www.fashion-era.com/Christmas/christmas_food_beeton_pudding_recipe.htm

Back
Top Bottom