Looking for different meat bird

fishingfrenzy

Hatching
7 Years
May 3, 2012
We raise some turkeys, have 20 barred rock laying hens, and have about 50 white meat birds. The meat birds don't move far from their feed, but the barred hens travel around and are great svavenger feeding birds. My problem is the white meat birds are so delicious, but I would like to have a few different meat breeds that are better and running around the yard and scavenging, but are still great tasting. Any suggestions? Rhode Island Reds maybe? Will other breeds play nice with my barred hens and white meat birds? Thanks for any help!!!

My suggestion? Keep the meat bird breed you are using and just don't offer continuous feeds and start them off "running around the yard" for their food at a very early age. I have 50 of the CX also and they are now 6 wks old, have been on free range since 2 wks and forage a good 50% of their total feed from "running around the yard".

agreed i do the same with my cornish x . they do fine ranging around, my feed cost is way down because the eat bugs grass and what ever else they find. rhey may take a little longer to finish. however much healthier bird.

We raise both CX and DP roosters. We just processed a batch of Black Star Sex Links. They obviously do not have the plump double breast like the CX but are a large bird by 16 weeks. Their drums and thighs are about the same size as the CX. We currently have some RIR that are 11 weeks old. Will be processing in the next 4 to 6 weeks.

Good Luck

I am on my first batch of them, but from what I have seen so far, Freedom Rangers may be what you're looking for. Or any of the other slower growing meat breeds.

Back
Top Bottom