looking for excellent broody breed

I was looking for a broody too. I already had a Buff Orpington, EE, Brahma, and SLW and some others that never went broody. McMurrays catalog said Columbian Wyandottes are known for broodiness so I ordered one from Ideal.

She went broody shortly after beginning to lay at five months old. Surprised me so soon. I was delighted and watched her for two weeks sitting on nothing and she was determined. I put eggs under her and she hatched them and was a good mom until they were fully feathered. She went broody again after laying for a month or so. Very dependable, and I didn't have to wait long.

My Bantam Cochin girls are the best mamas! They don't care whose eggs they sit on, even a goose egg my kids thought it would be funny to slip under one. They do "share mama duties" They will trade nests, then trade back, take care of each other's babies. I have a pair of sisters that go broody at the same time and hatch and raise two nests together. Below is a pic of "Splash" trying to steal a nest out from under a RIR. We finally gave her and her sister Blackie some eggs of their own so they would leave her alone!

52975_my_eggs.jpg

They now have hatched 3 nests this season!

Back
Top Bottom