Looking for Game Cam recommendations -

A trail camera tells you what and where something needs to be killed.

The driveway alert tells you when.

All of my trail cameras can take bursts of 3-4 photos in 1 second intervals and with a minimal refractory period before being triggered again. The value can be set as low as 0 seconds but is really more like 2-5 seconds. Newer cameras shouldn't limit you to a 30 sec interval. And, of course, ones that record video are even better.

I actually checked on bhphotovideo before posting that and clicked on a few Canon DSLR items that weren't body-only such as this one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/914091-REG/canon_digital_rebel_t3i_18_55mm_is.html

Quote:
The last time I got a memory card with a new camera purchase was with the Canon PowerShot G1. None of my later digital cameras or trail cameras included a card. Nor did my GoPro Hero2.

Trail cameras have a lot of quirks so there are much better criteria to base your decision upon rather than whether a card is included.

I borrowed one and was underwhelmed. The biggest problem was that it would do pictures on fixed intervals or motion-triggered. However, it had a long interval (30 seconds, I think) between motion-triggered pictures. It took a bunch of experimenting with it to figure out what it really did. Don't remember what kind it was but I'd say read the feature descriptions carefully. This one had a small internal memory and would take a card..

I've used a cheap ($15 or so) driveway alarm from Harbor Freight to tell me when to take the gun and get out there when I knew a raccoon was hanging around. It sounds like you already have an alarm of sorts but it worked well. I've also used it to tell me when to empty out a trap.

Ohhhh . . . never thought about borrowing one to see how I liked the features. Great idea! Son's friend is an avid hunter and he set up a game cam in our driveway last summer to get a peek at the deer trail that runs through our property. That's when we got an inkling that something bigger was lurking about. This friend said the cam showed a cougar aka mountain lion, which is hard to believe as supposedly there are none in our area. There have been other regional sightings but animal control is sure it's mistaken identity. Whatever they saw was apparently tracking that deer trail, too.

And - of course - the deer trail also runs right behind the hen house! One buck actually engaged me in a standoff where he not only snorted at me but repeatedly stomped the ground. Brazen little devils!

The coonhound has a nose that will have her standing up on her hind legs in the house as a whiff of whatever is outside seeps in through the closed window. However, the noise she then makes must scare it off as there's nothing there by the time we get outside.

Think I'm going to ask if we can borrow it for a few days. That will at least tell us what features we do and don't need/want for a game cam. Thanks!

There's a forum for trail cameras (Chasing Game or something like that) where you can read about them ad nauseam.

Back
Top Bottom