1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Looking for Giant Cochin Breeders!

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by osukrazykate, Dec 8, 2009.

1. spydertoys

spydertoys Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Munfordville, Kentucky
    Quote:Have you guys gotten snow yet? We have had a blistering cold wind here the last several days, but no snow.

Oh I almost forgot to ask when do you normally start back up with sending eggs.

It doesn't really snow here, maybe a dusting that is gone by 10am or something like that. But temps have been in the teens...Brrr!!!

I'm a Wisconsin transplant to Kentucky, using my snow shovel for chicken poop these days...works great under the roost poles..lol!!!

Depending on the weather..probably about February if they are going somewhere warm enough. Obviously, I can't ship them to any northern states that time of year.

2. osukrazykate

osukrazykate Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Have you guys gotten snow yet? We have had a blistering cold wind here the last several days, but no snow.

Oh I almost forgot to ask when do you normally start back up with sending eggs.

It doesn't really snow here, maybe a dusting that is gone by 10am or something like that. But temps have been in the teens...Brrr!!!

I'm a Wisconsin transplant to Kentucky, using my snow shovel for chicken poop these days...works great under the roost poles..lol!!!

Depending on the weather..probably about February if they are going somewhere warm enough. Obviously, I can't ship them to any northern states that time of year.

Too funny, I myself am a Wisconsin transplant to Okahoma. My husband is from here. I swear though it seems colder here than it did in Wisconsin. We don't get much snow here either, just about how you said it and maybe we might get an actual good snow once a year, but it is gone the next day. The rest ends up mostly being ice.

3. spydertoys

May 19, 2008
    Munfordville, Kentucky
    Quote:It doesn't really snow here, maybe a dusting that is gone by 10am or something like that. But temps have been in the teens...Brrr!!!

Too funny, I myself am a Wisconsin transplant to Okahoma. My husband is from here. I swear though it seems colder here than it did in Wisconsin. We don't get much snow here either, just about how you said it and maybe we might get an actual good snow once a year, but it is gone the next day. The rest ends up mostly being ice.

I don't miss it a bit!!

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    good grief! I have huge black standard roos I tried to GIVE away and no one wanted them-I kept them as I have 1 black standard hen and a blue hen-They are going in a breeding pen next week! Im hoping my friend will take the 1 black roo off my hands since I have 2-the shine on these boys are amazing-big fat and fluffy!

5. spydertoys

May 19, 2008
    Munfordville, Kentucky
    Quote:WOW!! Mine are usually gone before I even have a chance to decide to keep any. This time I am putting my foot down and keeping some of the girls..and just selling the Roos. My Silkies, Turkens and Cochins seem to always be in such demand that I seldom get to keep any for myself..lol!!

Now I have to add Orps to that list. Can't seem to keep any extra Orps for myself either...everyone wants to buy them. I am currently working on two orders for 100 chicks, which will probably take me the rest of the winter because the girls aren't being very cooperative.

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:WOW!! Mine are usually gone before I even have a chance to decide to keep any. This time I am putting my foot down and keeping some of the girls..and just selling the Roos. My Silkies, Turkens and Cochins seem to always be in such demand that I seldom get to keep any for myself..lol!!

Now I have to add Orps to that list. Can't seem to keep any extra Orps for myself either...everyone wants to buy them. I am currently working on two orders for 100 chicks, which will probably take me the rest of the winter because the girls aren't being very cooperative.

wow-I would totally hatch out that many if I didnt mind getting divorced! I love orps!!! There is not alot of people around me that have chickens we have to travel a huge distance to get them! I m working on my community though and slowly people are "starting" to realy enjoy my addictions-

7. spydertoys

May 19, 2008
    Munfordville, Kentucky

wow-I would totally hatch out that many if I didnt mind getting divorced! I love orps!!! There is not alot of people around me that have chickens we have to travel a huge distance to get them! I m working on my community though and slowly people are "starting" to realy enjoy my addictions-

Good thing I live by myself..lol!! I don't have anyone to tell me that I can't keep babies in the house. I'll be hatching all winter. I have Turkens and Cochins going out to the barn tomorrow to make room for babies hatching this weekend.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  8. NEK38583

NEK38583 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2008
    Sparta, TN
    I will have some eggs in the spring. In the standard I have the blue/black/splash. In the bantams I have almost every color imaginable.

9. osukrazykate

osukrazykate Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Do you have some pictures of your standards?

10. NEK38583

NEK38583 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2008
    Sparta, TN
    Not yet, but I am hopeing to get some soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by