Looking for help identifying Marans

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by millejn3, Jun 6, 2010.

1. millejn3

millejn3 In the Brooder

Mar 27, 2010
    central IL
    Hello Everyone,
    I bought some BC maran eggs off ebay and had two odd balls hatch out. One male and one female. They both have litely feathered shanks. I emailed the person that I bought them from and he said they would turn out to be either Black tailed Buff or Wheaton Sport. Im looking for input on these birds so Im attaching pics to see if anyone can help me figure out what they truely are. Im completely new to the world of Marans so I have no clue to what they really are. Are they mutts? Any help would be awsome!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  2. CantSkipThis1

CantSkipThis1 In the Brooder

May 17, 2010
    Bonita
    I have no idea what your birds are but I will say I bought some chicks from a lady who bought the eggs off ebay. She was told they were Black Copper marans and Wheaten Marans. I ended up with two Wheaten Marans and 6 Olive Eggers. The Olive Eggers were a Araucana crossed on a Marans. Who ever sold her the eggs lied about what they were. Both of my pure Wheaten Marans have heavly feathered shanks and the Olive Eggers have litely feathered shanks. Im guessing this person has Marans hens that are getting bred by a Araucana Roo so the eggs are still coming out dark brown. Goodluck!

3. millejn3

millejn3 In the Brooder

Mar 27, 2010
    central IL
    I had 7 out of 12 eggss hatch and these two birds are the odd balls. The other five are looking like typical BC marans with lite feathering on the shanks and propper coloring starting to show.

4. bishopschickens

bishopschickens Songster

May 23, 2008
    Cumberland, VA
    They look like they are crossed with a wheaten I would guess. (bcm/wheaten). If you are interested in anymore you can see ours at www.bishopschickens.com

Brandon

5. blackdotte

blackdotte Songster

Nov 18, 2008
    They are neither Wheaten nor Black-tailed Buffs.
    The presence of juvenile autosomal barring indicates the presence of the Pattern gene which is not found in any variety of Marans.
    It maybe the light but the first cockerel appears to have yellow shanks, if this is the case it is another indication of cross breeding,
    David

6. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:David~ Isn't the Golden Salmon Marans a pattern gene bird?

I also asked almost the same question about the leg color on the first bird...it does appear yellowish.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  7. blackdotte

blackdotte Songster

Nov 18, 2008
    Isn't the Golden Salmon Marans a pattern gene bird?

No, it is genetically a simple Gold Duckwing, s+/s+ e+/e+ , which is known as a Partridge/Black Breasted Red, as in OEG, Welsummer etc.
    The Salmon refers to its Autosomal Red (Salmon ) breast.

A Silver Salmon Marans would look like a Silver Grey Dorking.

The Pattern gene is not found in any recorded Marans variety.
    David​

8. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Songster

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    I don't know, but I love the look of the darker of the two. Very unusual coloring, and very pretty.

9. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:No, it is genetically a simple Gold Duckwing, s+/s+ e+/e+ , which is known as a Partridge/Black Breasted Red, as in OEG, Welsummer etc.

David

Thank you Mr. David! [​IMG]

10. aalbury

aalbury Songster

Nov 5, 2009
    GA
    Quote:No, it is genetically a simple Gold Duckwing, s+/s+ e+/e+ , which is known as a Partridge/Black Breasted Red, as in OEG, Welsummer etc.

David

Hello!

Do you mind if I ask what gene is involved in Columbian Marans? I thought that was Pg plus Co?

Nevermind! I looked it up.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by