Looking for Helpful tips with Broody Hens

write2caroline

Crowing
13 Years
Jun 21, 2009
Jacksonville
What to expect when she is expecting or something like that....
Is their a handy dandy Broody Thread? I would love to see a thread on Broody Girls and share tips and hints to help them be stress free and hatch nice chicks.

Specifically, I guess I want to know, Do I need to make seperate accomodations for her and keep her from the other hens. My other girls want to sit with her and lay more eggs in this nest and I see that as a potential problem. About getting her food and Water - she hardly comes off the nest unless I pick her up and take her off.

I know that she is engineered to do this on her own, If I wanted to do it myself I would get an incubator.
I want advice as to tips that are helpful from those who have experienced their birds hatching eggs, I did search broody but could not find what I was looking for, a lot of posts about problems etc.
Caroline

Last edited:
What are you trying to assist with? Broodies aren't like livestock and typically don't need assistance.

Make sure the other hens cannot lay eggs in the broodies nest. I keep food and water with reach of my broodies while they are brooding. Might also want to check her over for lice/mites or just powder her - they are very hard on a broody since she does not get around to bathe.

Back
Top Bottom