Looking for ideas for door on portable chicken tractor

Trish1974

Araucana enthusiast
5 Years
Mar 16, 2016
North Central IN
My Coop
My Coop
Let me preface this by saying I have ZERO carpentry skills. My newest creation is nothing to look at but I'm hoping it is functional. I made this portable chicken pen to move my hens around with me while I'm outside working. I live in predator hell to the point I don't trust them to free range even if I am out there standing two feet from them. The base is 8' long and 4' wide. The fence over the top is 14 gauge 2"x4" welded wire. I would like to be able to butt one end up against the fence to their run (I'll have to make a corresponding door in the fence run) so they can walk through, I can close the door and pull them around the property with me.

I would like to make a slide-up door on the end, but the cross wires in the fence prevent that. Does anyone have any ideas on what kind of door would work for both the tractor and the fence run?

By the way, the left end in the top picture is not done. Still needs cut and secured.

Cut a piece of welded wire fencing just larger than the opening you cut out on the other end. Use wires extending from one side of the piece to fashion a makeshift hinge. Secure the other side of your new door with a couple of caribiners. It's not overnight secure, but it will do for while you are out there.

Back
Top Bottom