Will a hoop house chicken tractor work in windy S MO?

Sanderguy777

Chirping
Mar 9, 2024
The title. I really like the idea of a hoop house since it's cheap and easy to make, but relatively strong, and portable in the tractor form.

But, I'm worried about tornadoes and rain. How much of the "run" area needs to be covered to keep from becoming a mud bath, and will the wind be too much?

Basic structure would be 12x8, and the hoop would be maybe 5 or 6 feet high.

I can't answer to your other questions, but I think the possibility of the run becoming a mud bath depends on your soil. For me, it would be (and is, for lack of a proper roof) a muddy disaster, but when we lived in Michigan, the ground was always decent no matter how much rain we got (it was really sandy).

I can't answer to your other questions, but I think the possibility of the run becoming a mud bath depends on your soil. For me, it would be (and is, for lack of a proper roof) a muddy disaster, but when we lived in Michigan, the ground was always decent no matter how much rain we got (it was really sandy).
Yeah, my ground is apparently on the top of a spring of sorts, and has clay 8" down. So it's just water logged all the time apparently LOL

I just finished a 12'x8' hoop coop & run. The height of the cattle panels is approximately 5'10". The structure is on a slight slope. Water has never been an issue in that site before. I don't think it'll be a problem. The coop is covered by a heavy tarp which extends partially over the run. The feeder and waterer are in the covered part of the run. I live in NE Oklahoma. We haven't had severe weather yet, but it has rained. So far the run has stayed very dry. I have 2" to 3" of dried leaves on the run floor. Hope this is helpful.

Back
Top Bottom