Looking for light bulb protection?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Sabz, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Sabz

Sabz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Quebec, Canada
    Hi all,

I don't know how we call this thing! I am searching for some protection for my heat bulb. I got results by searching for "light bulb cage" but.. not sure it is adequate.

I thought the best would be a closed cage, so the dust and feathers can't touch the light and catch fire. Does this exist? Can someone give me a link to buy some online, or tell me the name?

Or, it is a bad idea to look for a closed cover like this? Will the heat raise like crazy inside this protective cover and eventually make the roof catch on fire?!

Any ideas welcomed :) It was -1 celcius today! It was 6 degrees in the coop. Not that bad yet, but I need to prepare for my first winter with chickens! When it starts to be this cold here, it is not long before it is -30! hehe

Thanks!

2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    We really need to see pictures of the interior of your coop in order to better help you with ideas, etc. Please post some pics!

3. Sabz

Mar 27, 2013
    Quebec, Canada
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Looks like you already found a shield for the light.....but.....you really don't want to use a heat lamp in the coop for a multitude of reasons.
    .......and you're correct the dust can be flammable.

If you're looking for something to keep the dust off a light bulb used for light search for 'barn safety light bulb cage'.
    http://www.amazon.com/Canarm-Ceiling-Wall-Barn-Light/dp/B0058T95CC

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  5. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    I use heat lamps in my brooder, and I buy the simple light fixtures with a metal "bowl" shade. They cost $3-4. I then cut a square piece of 1/2" hardware wire big enough to cover the opening of the metal bowl, and bend the corners up over the edges of the bowl, securing the hardware wire to the shade, making it impossible for anything to touch the heat lamp itself.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Except for dust.

7. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    I just use rabbit wire mesh left over from project. It seems to work ok.

8. Sabz

Mar 27, 2013
    Quebec, Canada
    YES!

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

I don't think I will be using actual red, heat bulbs. I think I will leave my current light bulb in, and it is a 100watt bulb. Not a heat bulb, but it will generate heat, and I was too afraid to leave it on when I left the coop, I just turn it on if I need to go in after dark. At least with a cover, I can turn it on if it is really too cold outside.

9. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
  10. Sabz

Mar 27, 2013
    Quebec, Canada
    Not what I was looking for as there is no protection from dust. I found it in an earlier post. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by