Looking for light bulb protection?

Sabz

Songster
6 Years
Mar 27, 2013
Quebec, Canada
Hi all,

I don't know how we call this thing! I am searching for some protection for my heat bulb. I got results by searching for "light bulb cage" but.. not sure it is adequate.

I thought the best would be a closed cage, so the dust and feathers can't touch the light and catch fire. Does this exist? Can someone give me a link to buy some online, or tell me the name?

Or, it is a bad idea to look for a closed cover like this? Will the heat raise like crazy inside this protective cover and eventually make the roof catch on fire?!

Any ideas welcomed :) It was -1 celcius today! It was 6 degrees in the coop. Not that bad yet, but I need to prepare for my first winter with chickens! When it starts to be this cold here, it is not long before it is -30! hehe

Thanks!

Looks like you already found a shield for the light.....but.....you really don't want to use a heat lamp in the coop for a multitude of reasons.
.......and you're correct the dust can be flammable.

If you're looking for something to keep the dust off a light bulb used for light search for 'barn safety light bulb cage'.
http://www.amazon.com/Canarm-Ceiling-Wall-Barn-Light/dp/B0058T95CC

Last edited:
I use heat lamps in my brooder, and I buy the simple light fixtures with a metal "bowl" shade. They cost $3-4. I then cut a square piece of 1/2" hardware wire big enough to cover the opening of the metal bowl, and bend the corners up over the edges of the bowl, securing the hardware wire to the shade, making it impossible for anything to touch the heat lamp itself.

I use heat lamps in my brooder, and I buy the simple light fixtures with a metal "bowl" shade. They cost $3-4. I then cut a square piece of 1/2" hardware wire big enough to cover the opening of the metal bowl, and bend the corners up over the edges of the bowl, securing the hardware wire to the shade, making it impossible for anything to touch the heat lamp itself.
Except for dust.

YES!

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

I don't think I will be using actual red, heat bulbs. I think I will leave my current light bulb in, and it is a 100watt bulb. Not a heat bulb, but it will generate heat, and I was too afraid to leave it on when I left the coop, I just turn it on if I need to go in after dark. At least with a cover, I can turn it on if it is really too cold outside.

Back
Top Bottom