Looking for mosquito control

Our town used to spray and we actually petitioned them to stop, the spray is very dangerous and kills off a lot of good bugs, and is dangerous to our poultry. If it lands on feed or in their water it's not safe, and that mist floats a long way. It's very unsafe for dogs too, and especially for people. It comes in through everyone's windows and air conditioners and isn't good to breathe. If you look it up there's countless warnings for humans and reports of pets dying after spraying.
You're supposed to close all windows, bring in all pets, remove all food and water dishes, and wipe down any outdoor surfaces before touching them after spraying. We'd find dead dragonflies and big sphinx moths and all sorts of rare bugs dead after the spraying, meanwhile it didn't affect the mosquitoes much at all. There are too many wetlands around and mosquitoes are more than happy to travel, so it did nothing besides put people and animals at risk. I'd much rather risk it with mosquito-borne illnesses than regular spraying of poison on us and all of our's and others' pets.

As far as the actual bites, we usually break down and just use mosquito spray. The natural stuff usually doesn't help, and though we try to avoid chemicals we use it when it's necessary. We usually wear long sleeves and pants and spray it on top of that so it at least isn't touching our skin. It works better than most anything else. I have heard the thermacell things work, I've never tried them though.
Making sure there's no extra standing water is a good idea, a lot of times they get overlooked but make sure your gutters stay cleaned out. Mosquitoes love the nasty leaf filled water that sits in gutters.
Dragonflies, swallows, minnows, and everything else that eats mosquitoes and their larvae are a great help to have around too.

You can go to your local aquarium shop and buy some mosquito fish to dump in that pond and standing water area. I use them in my pond and they ravage the mosquito larvae to the point where skeeters just aren't much of an issue.
Considering mosquito fish ourselves, it's so bad we can't stay outside for more than a few minutes otherwise we get bitten all over especially near our chicken coop. Fish working for you?!

Back
Top Bottom