Looking for mosquito control

Mouthwash

Chirping
May 20, 2023
Chicago IL
This year I literally cannot spend more than 15 seconds in my yard without getting mosquito bites. It's only my 2nd year in this place but it wasn't this bad last year for sure. I'm looking for something I can use to control the mosquitos without hurting my chicken and vegetable gardens. I got mosquito bites on the top of my head ffs!

Ouch, that's no fun! Have you checked your area for any containers of standing water where the little pests may be breeding? Even a tablespoon of water needs to be dumped out, they will use it. Forgotten pet bowls, empty cans, old flowerpots, bird baths - lierally anything that can hold water must be removed. Even your animals' waterers must be dumped out and cleaned daily and not allowed to get stagnant. Is there a pond nearby? Does your community spray on a regular basis? Mosquitos can be more than a pest, they can carry terrible diseases!

Ouch, that's no fun! Have you checked your area for any containers of standing water where the little pests may be breeding? Even a tablespoon of water needs to be dumped out, they will use it. Forgotten pet bowls, empty cans, old flowerpots, bird baths - lierally anything that can hold water must be removed. Even your animals' waterers must be dumped out and cleaned daily and not allowed to get stagnant. Is there a pond nearby? Does your community spray on a regular basis? Mosquitos can be more than a pest, they can carry terrible diseases!
There's a pond near by, as well as a wetland area that pools water after rain. Last year big trucks came by and sprayed. This year they decided they want everyone to get west Nile or zika. It's incredibly upsetting I'd like to spend more than 5 minutes with the chickens before I'm chewed to bits

Have you considered a propane mosquito fogger I hate it when mosquitoes fly in my ears! I live on an island, the beach is a couple hundred yards to the right salt marsh to my left, a pond 50 yards from my front door and about 20 acres of cyprss swamp behind the house. I feel your pain.

There's a pond near by, as well as a wetland area that pools water after rain. Last year big trucks came by and sprayed. This year they decided they want everyone to get west Nile or zika. It's incredibly upsetting I'd like to spend more than 5 minutes with the chickens before I'm chewed to bits
I'm also having this problem! My city decided not to treat for mosquito this year! 🤦🏻‍♀️ honestly I don't really believe any gadgets work and I don't want to use poison so I just make sure to wear loose long sleeves, loose pants and a hat every single time I go outside. Also when I go camping, I wear this ridiculous netting outfit... lol people make fun of me but I tell ya, i go home with zero bites!
This isn't the exact one I bought but I'm sure any of these outfits works the same.
https://www.amazon.com/Mosquito-Sui...2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfYXRm&psc=1

You can try the Thermocell that attaches to your belt. My daughter got me one last year and it really does work for me when I’m working outside.

You don’t say where you are but here in Georgia, people put up Purple Martin nests. Purple Martins and bats are great mosquito eaters. With a pond, you should have dragon flies. Since we finally got rain here and the dragonflies hatched, my mosquito population has decreased significantly.

You can go to your local aquarium shop and buy some mosquito fish to dump in that pond and standing water area. I use them in my pond and they ravage the mosquito larvae to the point where skeeters just aren't much of an issue.

You can try the Thermocell that attaches to your belt. My daughter got me one last year and it really does work for me when I’m working outside.

You don’t say where you are but here in Georgia, people put up Purple Martin nests. Purple Martins and bats are great mosquito eaters. With a pond, you should have dragon flies. Since we finally got rain here and the dragonflies hatched, my mosquito population has decreased significantly.
In the midwest 50 miles south of Chicago. There are so many dragonflies as well. I'm certain my wife wouldn't take to the idea of bats and rabies.

The bats we have here are bug eaters. Just before sundown, they are everywhere getting mosquitoes. The dragonflies are all over as well. Since they came out the mosquito population has decreased significantly.

A couple of years ago, our pest control company did a complementary spray for us and I have to say, it was very effective. I’m talking no mosquitos for about six weeks.

It's been pretty crazy for me this year too, and I have a lot of standing water with an acre pond on the property plus wetlands all around. Yes we have bats and dragonflies.

I've taken to wearing baggy pajama pants over my shorts while I'm out with the chickens, so my legs are now spared. When gardening or anything else that's more active (where the pants get way too hot) I've been using repellent with oil of lemon eucalyptus which does seem to make a difference - as an experiment I went without the repellent for about 30 min last week and got multiple bites, but I've only been bitten twice in the last 2 weeks while using it.

Back
Top Bottom