Looking For Mr. Rooster Right?!

Hotwings

Songster
12 Years
Jan 27, 2007
southwestern Michigan
Ok I am posting this thread for my friend Freebie-she asked me to. Well at the moment she has 3 barred rock cockerels(brothers). They are breeding at the moment. They don't fight with each other. What I am getting at is she is thinking about getting rid of the cockerels and maybe getting a smaller rooster. It seems the cockerels are pretty big and they are really laying havoc on the hens. At the moment she has 14 standard size hens-they free range during the day. So far most of the standard size roo breeds are pretty big-she is looking for a roo around the 6 or 5 lb range(not a bantam). This roo must be able to free range and be winter hardy breed. Being docile will help but this can be asking alittle to much. Does anyone have any suggestions?

My Ameraucana, Scout, is definitely leaner than my Barred Rock rooster. Ameraucanas or Easter Eggers, either one, would be of a slightly smaller body type than a Barred Rock, even in standard size. And the pea comb is more of a winter hardy type thing, almost no wattles at all. Scout gets to range part of the day with his girls, too.
DCP_8799.jpg

Back
Top Bottom